Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 23-11-2019, 03:27 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
The Abandoned:
The Abandoned is the penultimate story of the Fourth Doctor Adventures season 3 from Big Finish.
Featuring Leela played by Louise Jameson who also wrote this story with Nigel Fairs who also appears as Three.

This is a fascinating story which is set entirely in the TARDIS.
Interesting villain in Marianna who claims to be the original owner of the TARDIS and wants her back.
Enthralling how this all played out including the presentation of Leela's father.
However I felt the resolution was somewhat abrupt.
Old 24-11-2019, 12:35 AM

Started Gangsters (1975-78) created by Philip Martin who also appeared in the pilot as the villain.

Gangsters dealt with Martin's fascination with organised crime, the roots of which Martin would used for his debut Doctor Who serial Vengeance on Varos.

Gangsters starred Maurice Colbourne and featured Tania Rogers.

In the DVD commentary for the pilot which Martin took part in, it was noted that he, Colbourne and Rogers all later worked on Doctor Who as Colbourne was Lytton in Resurrection of the Daleks & Attack of the Cybermen and Rogers was Zilda in Robots of Death.
Old 27-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Counter-Measures: State of Emergency:
Finale of Counter-Measures season 1.
Written by Justin Richards.
My favourite scene of this episode came in early in an amusing bit when Allison walked in and found Rachel on the phone.
Allison says that she was going to get the tea and was shocked when Rachel then says:
"You will do no such thing."
The joke is that this was a misunderstanding as Rachel wasn't talking to Allison when she said that.. Rachel was instead talking to someone on the phone.
I even told my dearest friend about this scene even though I am sure she was not familiar with Big Finish.
Rachel and Allison are soon sent to investigate so-called ghosts by Sir Toby and it was funny when he says, "That's the spirit".
The investigation into ghosts soon leads into events in London where it is being invaded by creatures.
State of Emergency features a portrayal of real life British Prime Minister Harold Wilson played by Duncan Wisbey.
Wilson had just come to power by winning the 1964 election and the invasion of the creatures is part of a planned military coup to oust Wilson and this is a based on a real life conspiracy theory which alleges such a coup had been planned to remove Wilson in this very manner.
This presented a brief appearance by Wilson's secretary Marcia Williams (Helen Goldwyn) and she shares the same surname with Allison.
However this is merely a coincidence because Marcia, unlike Allison, was a real person who subsequent to her service to Wilson became a life peer in the House of Lords.
Allison's fiance Julian is revealed to be a spy on Counter-Measures and did not love nor care about her.
However it was perplexing that Julian warned Allison about London knowing what was coming.
Why give her such a warning to someone he did not care about.

Overall an enjoyable way to end the first season including the miliary coup plotline.
The invasion of the creatures in London certainly brought to mind Invasion of the Dinosaurs.
State of Emergency started with Sir Toby on the phone with the new Chancellor of the Exchequer, James Callaghan who incidentally would succeed Wilson as Prime Minister in 1976.

General Peters mentioned Dunkirk and coincidentally saw the movie Dunkirk not long after listening to State of Emergency.
Old 30-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Doom Coalition: The Eleven:
The Eleven is the opener of Doom Coalition.
Surprised by the cameo at the start by the Seventh Doctor in a flashback which had him capturing the villain The Eleven.
The Eleven is played by Mark Bonnar (The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People) and he is a Time Lord criminal whose previous incarnations all live inside his mind. The Eleven refers to the eleventh incarnation of this Time Lord with each previous incarnation being refer by his number.
Now in his eighth incarnation and with Liv, the Doctor is summoned back to Gallifrey when the Eleven escaped from his confinement.
Bonnar makes a remarkable debut as The Eleven, a truly delicious villain and has proven a good match against the Doctor.
Enthralling when The Eleven took Liv and how she got released from this.
Pretty good on Kiani, a Time Lord Academy student, being added to the mix of this.
Funny when the CIA conspiracy theory is mentioned as this is in reference to a different kind of CIA.
Also funny when the Doctor mentioned The Eleven's literal use of the presidential office.

Just as I have started the Doom Coalition, I coincidentally resumed my viewing of the unrelated Doom Patrol.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM

Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories: Of Chaos Time The:
Of Chaos Time The is the second episode of Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories, the first of these Other Stories.
Featuring the Sixth Doctor and Peri.
Written by Mark Ravenhill.
The episode title may not make sense as I think it meant to be the backwards of The Time Of Chaos.
This is because this has the Doctor travelling backwards in time not by TARDIS but him alone experiencing a time jump.
This premise makes me think of the movie Memento (2000) which has the film travelling backwards for its protagonist as he is suffering from amnesia for a set of sequences as it explained how it got to his present situation.
The Doctor is experiencing something similar but it is not amnesia as the Doctor is jumping into events that has already happened in his timeline and therefore jumps backwards for him to make sense of what is going on.
Fascinating how this all played out and with its resolution.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:44 PM

10 this Sunday December 8 will be showing at 7:30pm The Graham Norton Show with Jodie Whittaker along with Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, my wife Karen Gillan's co-stars in the new Jumanji: The Next Level.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 AM

The Early Adventures: The Outliers:
The Outliers is the second story of the fourth season of The Early Adventures.
Featuring the Second Doctor, Ben, Polly and Jamie.
Written by Simon Guerrier and released in October 2017.
The Outliers is a fasciinating and haunting story.
Neat that Guerrier brings back the Doctor's guise as the Earth Examiner from Power of the Daleks.
Menacing the Creatures and pretty good villain in Richard Tipple.
Especially haunting was when the time travellers see their possible futures.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 PM

Doctor Puppet Commentary - Episode 2: The Conjunction of Eleven:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH7g...ture=emb_title
Old 11-12-2019, 04:50 AM

Saw Jodie Whittaker on The Graham Norton Show which came on December 6 2019,

Also included here were Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart, my wife Karen Gillan's co-stars in the new Jumanji: The Next Level.

Hart says here comes the TARDIS as Jodie produces that sound.

My wife Karen was seen in this Show from the Jumanji: The Next Level poster and then a clip of this movie.

When it came to Jodie she recounts on filming the upcoming season of her encounter with a spider that could have killed her!

A clip of the season of the season opener Spyfall was shown and it was surprising when it was revealed that Mandip Gill was in the audience!

Also surprising was when Johnson suggested that he and Hart of being in Doctor Who.

Spyfall has an evidently James Bond theme with the title being a play on the Bond film Skyfall and Norton coincidentally noted that Johnson was dressed up like Bond as he was wearing a pink suit and a bow tie.
Old 13-12-2019, 11:33 AM

The Star Men:
The Star Men is an audio story from Big Finish.
Featuring the Fifth Doctor, Adric, Nyssa and Tegan.
This marks the first time that Matthew Waterhouse has reprised Adric for Big Finish in the Main Range after earlier making his Big Finish debut in the The Fifth Doctor Box Set.

Appropriately for Adric's Main Range debut, The Star Men was written by Andrew Smith who had introduced Adric in the TV series in Full Circle.

Released in January 2017 and the first in a trilogy with this TARDIS crew.
Guest stars Peter Guinness as the villain Rovus, the leader of the said Star Men and there was no mistaken his distinctive voice.
Mere months ago I re-listened to Guinness' first Big Finish, The Holy Terror and with The Star Men I thought I heard the voice of someone else who was in The Holy Terror but it looks like I was mistaken on that.
The other guest stars include Sophie Wu whose character Autumn is rather sweet on Adric much to the latter's obliviousness.
The Star Men is a rather enjoyable debut for Adric in the Main Range as the travellers meets the crew of the Johannes Kepler in a mission that brings in the encounter with the Star Men.
Sad tragedy as the resolution was reached and what Adric says in response to this was rather ironic due to what would happen to him in Earthshock.