Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Closed Thread

Old 22-02-2019, 03:47 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
5 x 6 - Aliens Among Us: A Kill to a View:
Written by Mac Rogers.
This episode marked Murray Melvin’s return as Bilis Manger.
Having been such a menacing presence when he last appeared in the last two episodes of season 1 I am surprised that it took this long for Melvin to make his return as Bilis.
A Kill to a View is inverse in name to the James Bond movie A View to a Kill.
Writing this on February 22 2019, I listened to A Kill to a View on February 18 and then again three days later on February 21, 9GEM here in Australia will coincidentally be rerunning A View to a Kill within the next few days.
This time around Bilis invades Colchester’s domestic life. Really makes me appreciate the Ninth Doctor when he says that he doesn’t do domestic.
It is set at a location that Torchwood fans had been before that is associated with Bilis.
As well as Melvin’s marvellous return as the sinister Bilis, the episode is served well by his accomplices Sandra and Andrea this time around.
What a deception that Sandra and Andrea pulled in getting themselves into Colchester’s residence.
The way Melvin as Bilis makes his denouement in this episode makes his return well worth the wait.
Old 21-06-2019, 04:31 AM

The Torchwood Archive Part 1:

The Torchwood Archive marked Big Finish's tenth anniversary celebration of Torchwood.

Written by James Goss and released on October 21 2016, just one day before the aninversary date on October 22.

The Torchwood Archive was first mentioned in Doctor Who: The Satan Pit as Zachary Cross Flane (Shaun Parkes) stating that he was the representative of it.

I wonder if considerations was made on having Zachary in The Tochwood Archive story and for whatever the reason Parkes wasn't available.

The Torchwood Archive story has a framing setting and like The Satan Pit it is set in the far future and introduces new character Jeremiah Bash Henderson who looks into the Torchwood Archive and talks to holographic versions of familiar Torchwood characters mostly to PC Andy.

The story cuts to and fro between the framing device in the far future and to more contemporary times with individual events of characters, mostly familiar ones, which relates to the overall story at hand.

The Torchwood Archive marked the first appearance by Paul Clayton as Mr Colchester in a brief appearance but would make a fully fledged appearance in Aliens Among Us & then God Among Us.

For the first time Orr gets mentioned (by Colchester) and like Colchester would become a fully fledged character in Aliens Among Us & God Among Us.

Quite impressive that Big Finish got Julian Lewis Jones to reprise Alex Hopkins.

Jones had previously played Hopkins, the head of Torchwood Three in a flashback in Fragments where he killed his team before killing himself, a suicide that was witnessed by Jack who then succeeded him as head of Torchwood Three.

In The Torchwood Archive, it expands on Hopkins' reasons for the said killings due to a Redlist (as opposed to a blacklist) and expressing his feelings on running Torchwood Cardiff in what is basically a thankless job.

The Hopkins segment was certainly very haunting.

Another segment worth mentioning is with Suzie as Jack says that he thought of her as a daddy's girl and Suzie would kill her father in They Keep Killing Suzie.

The Committee comes up as pertinent in the narrative but what really stands out in all this is the so-called Bad Penny.

All this leading to the stunning revelation by Jeremiah in the cliffhanger.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 PM

The Torchwood Archive Part 2:

Quite unsettled by the early bits of Part 2 but it becomes intriguing from when Archie from Torchwood Two.

Archie was first mentioned (but not by name) in the series opener Everything Changes by Jack as he explained to Gwen about the branches of Torchwood with Two being run by a strange man.

Archie had turned up before on Big Finish in The Victorian Age.

Nice that Torchwood Two finally got addressed here.

In Everything Changes, Jack also mentioned Torchwood Four in that it disappeared.

I was waiting for the TV series to have an episode about Four but nothing came of it.

Four is only briefly touched upon in The Torchwood Archive in that the Red Key was responsible but not in any great detail.

Still would like a proper story about Four but to this day Big Finish has still not come around to it.

It also touched upon Torchwood India and the Duchess both which/whom was in the BBC Radio play Golden Age thereby Big Finish establishing a continuity between it and that BBC Radio play.

Amusing when Queen Victoria says that she can't point Papua New Guinea on the map and she owns it. This got my attention as I lived in PNG a long time ago.

Quite a couple of surprises that came at the end with the overall theme that Torchwood never ends.

The Torchwood Archive could easily be the finale for Torchwood but alas it continues for Big Finish.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Outbreak: Stage One Incubation: Know:
Outbreak is a special release by Big Finish
Released in November 2016, this was released as part of the tenth anniversary celebrations of Torchwood.
Featuring Jack, Gwen and Ianto this is set before Children of Earth.
Children of Earth was itself a special event with its five episode all broadcast in the same week in July 2009.
Incidentally it is mere coincidence that I started Outbreak in July 2019, the tenth anniversary month of Children of Earth.
Outbreak is undoubtedly Big Finish's Children of Earth with one key difference is that Ianto does not die.
Outbreak is made of three Stages.
Stage One Incubation: Know is written by Guy Adams.
Intriguing start as Andy arrest a man for murder when this man demands to see Torchwood.
Thrilling what this ensues including a siege by the man at the police station, a Ministry woman not being what she seemed be, the starting of the said outbreak and Jack locking himself in the Hub.
Jack locking himself in a Hub is the same that he did in Children of Earth Day 1 but of course the Hub does not explode in Outbreak.

The news broadcasts displayed in Outbreak is akin to ones in Children of Earth reflecting the magnitude of the respective situations.

Last edited by Matt See; 11-07-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 28-07-2019, 09:29 PM

6 x 6 - God Among Us: Hostile Environment:
Written by Ash Darby, a Torchwood newcomer.
This episode mostly features Tyler.
Ng and Mr Colchester helps out along the way while Andy, Yvonne, Norton and Jack also pops up briefly.

Hostile Environment suddenly has Tyler out on the streets as a homeless person and it involved an app that allows people to tag the homeless for the purpose of helping them.
However it was anything but.

This is a compelling commentary on the homeless and Jonny Green delivered it superbly as the hoimeless Tyler.
As a homeless person, Tyler finds that he has little or no choice of what he has to do especially the choices given to him by the drone.

A key point to the episode was the efforts Tyler goes to in order to buy a phone.
This is hardly a priority for any homeless person but it works well on how this episode played out.
Tyler's efforts in getting money for the phone is the same in how my wife Karen Gillan got a little money in her short film Conventional.
I do the same to her but I do it for free because she is my wife and I love her.

With Tyler being homeless he is declared invisible to society. This is similar in premise to a Twilight Zone episode To See The Invisible Man about a man sentenced to social isolation for a year meaning that for this sentence, society is not allow to interact with him.

Coincidentally I am watching the fourth and final season of The Thick of It and has as a focus an unseen homeless man Douglas Tickel and his ultimate suicide.

Like Tickel, Tyler stayed in a tent for a little while but unlike Tickel, Tyler comes out of this still alive.

After listening to Hostile Environment I saw Friday The 13th 1.4 A Cup of Time which coincidentally also has the homeless as key plot point.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:34 PM

6 x 6 - God Among Us: Another Man's Shoes:
Written by Tim Foley.
Everybody excepts Ng experienced body switching.
The switches occur with Norton and Tyler, Andy and Yvonne and Jack and Mr. Colchester.
John Barrowman appears briefly as Colchester while Paul Clayton has all the fun being Jack.
It was certainly on the lengths Clayton went through to get a table at a restaurant.
The only thing I can say about the Norton-Tyler switch is that Norton as Tyler sure learnt humility through certain experiences.
The switch comes just as Andy's conduct is being reviewed by an assessor which he was required to meet.
Very funny how Yvonne as Andy made sure that Andy came through with flying colours even using retcon on the assessor when things did not turn out well the first time.
Andy as Yvonne found out something disturbing about her. and Yvonne stating her truth of what Torchwood is which did not leave me assured at all.
Meanwhile in all this Ng sure got something ominous from God and in an ice cream van.
Old 15-08-2019, 03:02 PM

6 x 8 - God Among Us: Eye of the Storm:
Written by David Llewellyn.
Eye of the Storm is what the Doctor said in Last of the Time Lords which Jack was present for.
This Torchwood episode literally involves a storm.
What starts off this episode was Andy calling Torchwood when he found stone people in a boat.
The boat has Mermaid in its name and I have been watching the TV series Siren which coincidentally is about mermaids.
The stone people is soon forgotten about as I personally was reminded of them when I listened to this the second time.
Intriguing that after the stone people this leads into a submersible.
Flight 405 is brought up here and oh my how it came to play here.
Eye of the Storm marked the end of Part 2 of God Among Us.
The climax certainly got dropped here including a tidal wave.
Just as Torchwood were investigating this got neatly complemented by a conversation between God and The Committee as an explanation what has been happening and what come next after this episode.
That epilogue was certainly surprising and it is akin to a key aspect of Day of the Daleks.

During this episode Mr Colchester made the analogy about waiting for pizza. Thank you Mr Llewellyn for writing this in as it made me get pizza on my own for the first time. Truly a proud milestone for me.

Mr Colchester also mentioned Chernobyl. Eye of the Storm along with the entire God Among Us 2 was released in February 2019, three months before the Chernobyl mini-series detailing that tragic real life nuclear disaster.

Even though Eve Myles isn't here as Gwen, I saw her in the season 2 opener of her series Keeping Faith and it played a song which coincidentally included the words "eye of the storm."
Old 08-12-2019, 10:30 PM

6 x 9 - God Among Us: A Mother's Son:
A Mother's Son is the first episode of Part 3 of God Among Us.
I was surprise to find the said mother Bethan Foster was played by Mina Anwar who had played Rani's own mother Gita Chandra in The Sarah Jane Adventures.
Her performance as Bethan is in sharp contrast as Gita and magnificent at it.
Written by Alexandra Riley who also plays Ng but curiously did not write herself as Ng in this episode.
This comes in the aftermath of the previous episode Eye of the Storm as Bethan is a mother whose son became missing because of it.
This is Bethan's story as she dominates it with limited appearances by some of the Torchwood characters.
This in the midst of an inquiry on recent events.
Water became the key aspect in all this and on second listen the first indication of this was when Yvonne at the inquiry refused water.
Then later on God said it explicitly about something in the water.
Absolutely enthralling on hearing the pouring of water as its significance is revealed.
Among the witnesses at the inquiry was a submarine captain.
At the same time in listening to this I saw
A Series of Unfortunate Events 3.3 Grim Grotto: Part 1 which coincidentally featured a submarine.

A Mother's Son is truly a mesmerizing episode thanks to Mina Anwar as a frantic mother looking for her son.

All this culminates with a choice that has been left ambiguous at the end.