Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 26-01-2016, 12:01 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
The Witch's Familiar:
The DVD subtitles is rather inconsistent with the spelling of Dalek(s).

Initially when it comes to what characters are speaking it spelled Dalek as Darlek but had no trouble spelling Dalek the correct way in lines of dialogue even when the word Dalek(s) is not so far off from Darlek on-screen.

For instance:
DARLEK:..........Daleks.........

When the episode was approaching its end the character spelling for Dalek got corrected from Darlek to Dalek.

I was willing to overlook the Darlek misspelling until I was baffled by the subtitles presenting both Darlek and Dalek(s).
Old 26-01-2016, 09:05 PM

Torchwood: Border Princes:
Border Princes is an original novel released in January 2007.
Written by Dan Abnett and is the second in the series of Torchwood novels and takes place sometime in the first season.
What is intriguing about Border Princes is that of Torchwood team member James Mayer someone who has not been in any other Torchwood adventures.
Intriguing what is ultimately revealed about James especially the effect he had on Gwen. In fact James seems pretty much akin to Adam in the season 2 episode that bore his name.
Along with James, Border Princes had been served well by the villains of this story including the Amok.
Old 29-01-2016, 10:35 AM

The Paternoster Gang Investigates: The Giant's Heart:
The Giant's Heart is a short story featuring the Paternoster Gang published in Doctor Who Adventures.

Presented as a journal entry from Jenny and also feature an appearance by the Doctor although Jenny does not give any indication whether this is the Eleventh or Twelfth Doctors as they are the ones they met on television.

The Giant's Heart is the name of a diamond and while diamonds in general are priceless this one in particular is very dangerous as it can suck out light in the solar system.

Enjoyable story and perhaps a good lesson that there are some valuable things that can also be very deadly.
Old 29-01-2016, 06:01 PM

Read from DWM #495 on the passings of Terence Denville and Hazel Adair.

Denville was a Doctor Who extra and has the distinction of becoming the only Cyberman to appear during the original tenure of Third Doctor Jon Pertwee in a cameo in Carnival of Monsters.

Denville only got one Doctor Who on-screen credit that of a Cyberman in The Invasion.

Uncredited work in Doctor Who were in The Faceless Ones, The War Games, Spearhead from Space, The Silurians, The Three Doctors, Frontier In Space, Planet of the Daleks, Death to the Daleks & Monster of Peladon.

Outside of Doctor Who his work included Callan, Moonbase 3 & GoldenEye.

He died in October 2015 believed to be 84.

Born on July 9 1920, Hazel Adair was with The Mind Robber writer Peter Ling the co-creator of Crossroads.

Adair's long-time professional relationship with Ling included them writing the unproduced Doctor Who story Hexagora. Hexagora would eventually be adapted on audio by Big Finish.

Adair died on November 22 2015 at the age of 95.
Old 30-01-2016, 04:50 PM

Doctor Who: The Fan Show

Spearhead from Space Review:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcJA8kE33qQ

Among the examples listed by Tom Spillane, Third Doctor Jon Pertwee was said to be like John Steed from The Avengers.
Incidentally Pertwee, prior to becoming the Third Doctor, had himself been in The Avengers in the season 5 opener From Venus With Love.

5 Classic Auton Moments as recommended by the Fan Show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=-yonrHZILH8

Q & A with Peter Ware:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbC3NT3M35E

Q & A with Tom Webster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=QVzBdGQJih8
Old 01-02-2016, 09:13 AM

Frances Pidgeon, Frank Finlay and Terry Wogan have passed away.

Born in 1931, Pidgeon appeared in two Doctor Who stories The Monster of Peladon as Handmaiden (uncredited) and The Hand of Fear as Miss Jackson. Both stories were directed by her late husband Lennie Mayne.

Mayne also directed his wife Pidgeon in the Doomwatch episodes Public Enemy & High Mountain.

Her other work included Softly Softly: Task Force in the fittingly but perhaps coincidentally named episode Cat Among the Pigeons.

She died in January 2016 at the age of 84.

Born on August 6 1926, Frank Finlay appeared in the Bedtime Story segment of the Doctor Who: 100 release from Big Finish productions playing Old Jacob Williams.

Finlay's (non-Who) appearances on-screen include Inspector Clouseau, The Three Musketeers (1973) and its sequels The Four Musketeers & The Return of the Musketeers in which he played Porthos, The Thief of Baghdad (1978), The Black Adder, The Other Side playing Arthur Conan Doyle, Stalin, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes & Merlin.

He died on January 30 2016 at the age of 89.

Born on August 3 1938, Terry Wogan was a radio and television broadcaster who worked for the BBC for most of his career.
As a BBC broadcaster he did have a brush in with Doctor Who.

From TARDIS Wiki:
"22nd Nov 1985 - Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant and producer John Nathan-Turner visited the Blackpool Doctor Who Exhibition to collect donations. Back in the studio Terry Wogan and Patrick Moore welcomed a plethora of Doctors and companions as they emerged from the TARDIS to present a cheque."

On his radio programmes, Doctor Who did come up as a topic and are included in the Doctor Who at the BBC audio releases.

His work on TV shows included the Doomwatch episode Hair Trigger as an uncredited Radio DJ.

Other TV series he popped up in included Ashes to Ashes & UK Being Human.

He died on January 31 2016 at the age of 77.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Lethbridge Stewart: The Fright Before Christmas:
An enjoyable Christmas story featuring Lethbridge-Stewart.

Interesting how some Santas got involved here and exciting the climax between Lethbridge-Stewart and the sphere.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:54 PM

Absolute Genius with D(i)ck and Dom: Derbyshire:
iview.abc.net.au/programs/absolute-genius-with-thingy-and-dom/ZW0335A005S00

This episode of Absolute Genius with D(i)ck and Dom broadcast on February 20 2013 during the 50th anniversary year of Doctor Who looks at Delia Derbyshire who realised the Doctor Who theme tune by Ron Grainer.

A fun and interesting profile on Derbyshire and the titular host recreating the Doctor Who theme tune on their own.

This plus an appearance by Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy.

A fun episode in memory of the subject at hand.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:11 AM

Robot Chicken 7.14 Walking Dead Lobster (broadcast on July 13 2014) included a Doctor Who sketch in fact this particular sketch can be seen on Youtube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6aAEiyeyc

The sketch however is rather disappointing for any Doctor Who fan to see. In hindsight the first indication that I was not going to enjoy this was when The Nerd stated clearly that he never seen Doctor Who.
It has been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but there is absolutely nothing flattering about Doctor Who in this sketch and the resolution is rather awful in this Doctor Who fan's perspective.

The Doctor here is voiced by Tim Roth who incidentally had expressed an interest to play the Doctor for real if and when the current Doctor Peter Capaldi decides to step down.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 PM

4 x 20 - The Underwater Menace Episode 2:
With its recovery in 2011, this is earliest surviving episode from the Troughton era.
It is a fascinating look visually on how Troughton played the Doctor in those early days of his tenure.
A highlight of this episode was when the Doctor tries to convince King Thous that Zaroff is as mad as a hatter.
Impressive when the Doctor demonstrate to Ramo the likely outcome of Zaroff's experiment.

The DVD subtitles undignifyingly refer to Polly as Woman and Ben as Man. Obviously the DVD subtitle writer was not well verse with the characters.
Among the comments in the commentary in this episode is Anneke Wills (Polly) revealing that Troughton disliked not only working on this story but also the director Julia Smith.