Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise > Sepik River

Sepik River Adventures along the sepik river in Papua New Guinea

Old 13-11-2003, 06:43 PM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Acting Local tourists - Kongkongs from Taiwan experience PNG first hand

By Alison Anis of PNGBD

They came with a Lonely Planet Guide Book on Papua New Guinea that was totally outdated – 1993. But nothing stopped the two Kongkongs from Taiwan, Frank Lin, a very rich and successful businessman and his friend Tom from experiencing first hand, PNG cultures, the natural beauty and lifestyles through their humbling tours around Madang, Goroka and along the Sepik River.

And the two Kongkongs especially Frank could not stop marveling about PNG’s vast and equatorial beauty until the day they left. Sepik River was the main highlight of the Kongkongs’ visit.

Frank has traveled half the world taking pictures of exotic places on earth, which had attracted more than a thousand viewers from across the globe. He has been to the Antarctica, the Amazon, Africa, South America, India, Vietnam, New Zealand, Hawai, Japan and Fiji yet Sepik River has been by far a “real thrill” for him compared to the great Amazon in America.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meri, man naoiks.jpg (48.0 KB, 400 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 13-11-2003, 06:45 PM

“Tourists where, tourists where,” they mused, “Sepik River good, better than Amazon” The two men were completely spellbound by the mighty sight of PNG’s largest river they didn’t know when to stop talking

Though he could afford a luxury, Frank chose to come as an independent traveler since he wanted to meet the people, know their culture and live as they did. Both men arrived in Port Moresby on the 7th of September and left direct for Wewak in the East Sepik province.

Their English was just as bad but that was not an obstacle as both boys had a crowd of admirers wherever they went to. The friendly and ever smiling faces behind the two Taiwan boys earned them a lot of local friends who seemed somehow at ease with the Kongkongs. The locals joked, laughed and chatted with Frank and Tom as if they were long lost buddies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rafts.jpg (46.6 KB, 405 views)
Old 13-11-2003, 06:47 PM

Once in Wewak the boys checked in at Windjama Hotel with its rare entrance artistically shaped into a crocodile’s jaws and facing the beautiful beachfront. Frank and Tom were picked up from the airport by a minibus following their flight to Wewak that afternoon. It was difficult to organize a tour that evening as they were not able to contact guides.

A trip to Sepik River was organized the following morning by Steven a local businessman who travels about 2 kilometers each morning from his home to pick up the Sepik River tour messages. Steve works closely with Windjama Hotel and organizes tour groups up to the Sepik River.

Frank and Tom had a four-day package tour with Steven which costed them around K2000 for two packs. The boys got on PMV between Wewak and Angoram then had a three-night’s stay at the villages and a two-day cruise on lower Sepik River, with a feast of meal each day.

They ate, showered, and slept as the villagers did and not even bothered by the hungry mosquitoes of the Sepik River.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canoes.jpg (39.4 KB, 396 views)
Old 13-11-2003, 06:48 PM

“We had a wonderful time with the villagers. They were very friendly and were great hosts during our stay. These people are very happy despite their hard lifestyles,” Frank said.

“We stayed in a village hut with the people and if you want to take a bath, follow the PNG way to dip your body in the Sepik River,” he added saying it was the best experience he’s ever had and that it was special to have come around the world just to experience here.

During his visits Frank took over 1500 quality pictures of Sepik, Madang, and Goroka and these are currently viewed by thousands of people around the world on the Papua New Guinea Business and Tourism Directory (www.pngbd.com) new photo gallery.

Before they came the Kongkongs had no idea where PNG was but a fated search on the net by Tom led them to PNGBD where they viewed pictures of Sepik River, Madang and Goroka. Without much hesitation the guys had arranged to come to Papua New Guinea for a tour. Each year, Frank gets a two months break from work. Most of his breaks are enjoyed through traveling exotic and beautiful places on earth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hausples.jpg (50.7 KB, 397 views)
Old 13-11-2003, 06:51 PM

“I could go anywhere in the world but nothing would fascinate me as the beauty, the cultures, lifestyles and people of this place,” Frank said of his recent visit to Papua New Guinea.

It was indeed a humbling experience for a businessman who could have got on the Melanesian Discoverer but chose to travel and live as the people did.

The next two destinations, Madang and Goroka were nice but it was the Sepik River that had a lasting impression Frank and Tom.

Quotes from Frank & Tom:

1. Where are the tourists....no tourists PNG
2. Frank - I good businessman but when I die I like die good photographer, you help me, I die happy man!
3. Sepik River - much much better - Amazon!
4. In PNG I travel as independent traveller, not stay in top class hotel, I stay with the people.
5. Frank - I extend our trip and walk Kokoda Trail....Tom, not enough time, plan to come back again and spend time getting fit.
6. My wife, she insure me a lot, 5 million coz she afraid Tom take me too dangerous place and I die.

Editors Note: I had the pleasure of meeting up with both Tom and Frank and they were truly delightful and full of fun. Frank couldnt stop talking about his adventures here in PNG, so much so, www.pngbd.com is most grateful as he handed over to our webmaster his image harddrive, so we could make a copy and put on our website to encourage other people to follow in their footsteps.

Truly a remarkable man and we sincerely thank him and encourage more tourists out there to share their memories of PNG with the world.

We will publish and give credit any photographs that you may like to send to us. However, instead of emailing photographs, we would suggest the following:

You register as a member and post directly onto our website. If you have problems with this, please contact us and we will help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nice site2.jpg (38.5 KB, 399 views)
Old 16-11-2003, 01:45 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
CLICK HERE to view more photographs of the Sepik River:

ENTER HERE if you wish to view more photographs of the GOROKA SHOW 2003:

CLICK HERE if you wish to look at more photographs of the Madang area of PNG:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4528.jpg (36.8 KB, 368 views)
Old 16-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Pictures of Frank’s recent visit to Sepik River, Madang and Goroka will also be put on his website -

CLICK HERE to be taken to Frank Lin's Website and will appear under the name Papua New Guinea and alongside the names of many other countries he visited in the world.

Editors Note: Frank has been away on business in China and hasnt had time to upload the PNG photographs onto his website...but they are coming....keep check back or look at them on our website, details directly below.

Goroka Show - 2003 - Photographers Dream come true as can be seen in this photograph:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4572.jpg (20.2 KB, 354 views)
Old 16-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Sent: Tuesday, 11 November 2003 3:08 AM

Hi Aussie,

I think it is good idea to put Madang as a springboard to combine Sepik river and Goroka show. I stayed at Madang Inn (built in 1999, new and clean, see attach document), and took PMV to Goroka. Along the road you can see very beautiful grassland similar as New Zealand, but it is in the tropics.

The most highlight for me is the village upon the Sepik river near Angoram, second to it are Angoram, Goroka Show, Moim Primary School, then the road from Madang to Goroka.

As for OZ

Five star trip:

(1) Kakadu N.P., yellow water boat cruise.

(2) Bungle Bungle, fly in and fly out, do the hiking to cathedral gorge.

Four star trip:

(1) Karijini N.P.

(2) King Canyon, do the four hour circuit.

Three star trip:

(1) Pinnacle.

(2) Ayers Rock sunset.

(3) Cradle Mountain and along the road from Launceston to Cradle Valley.

(4) Wildflower in W.A.

(5) Great Ocean Road.

Two star trip:

(1) Great Barrier Reef

(2) King¡¦s Park, good view of Perth

One star trip:

(1) Wave rock.

(2) Cape Tribulation.

Kind Regards

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4563.jpg (24.8 KB, 361 views)