Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 31-08-2016, 02:24 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Michael Leader has passed away.

Born in 1938, Leader was an extra in the Blake's 7 episodes Dawn of the Gods (as a technician) and Rumours of Death (as a rebel).

Leader also worked on Doctor Who. More on this in the Doctor Who thread.

Leader died on August 22 2016 at the age of 78.
Old 18-10-2016, 08:18 PM

The fourth and final season of Blake’s 7 includes the episodes Traitor & Assassin.
Coincidentally I recently saw or currently seeing episodes of those same titles from unrelated series.
With Traitor it is an episode of Prisoner Zero and on DVD I am watching the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode called Assassin.
Old 19-10-2016, 12:44 PM

Saw Prisoner Zero 1.23 Weapon and the previous episode is called Traitor and both Traitor & Weapon are also names of Blake’s 7 episodes and I am pretty certain that a lot of people if not all of them on the Prisoner Zero production are Blake’s 7 fans.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:42 AM

Warship:
Warship is an audio episode of Blake’s 7 released by Big Finish in January 2013.
Warship takes place from the last bit of the season 2 finale Star One and shortly afterwards.
Impressive when the last scene of Star One got re-created here with Vila telling Avon that this was stupid and Avon saying when did that ever stop them.
Warship is impressive in showing what else was going on during those last bits of Star One and shortly afterwards.
Impressive on how we leave Blake here as it seems like the proper coda for Blake leaving Liberator for the very last time.
Old 30-12-2016, 05:56 PM

Ron Thornton has passed away.

Born in 1957, Ron Thornton provided special effects for Doctor Who in 1980s.
Thornton has a unique distinction of working on the Doctor Who, Blake’s 7, Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Buffy universes.
For Blake’s 7 he provided special effects for the episodes Gambit & Children of Auron.

For Star Trek he provided special or visual effects for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 17 episodes of Voyager, Star Trek: Nemesis, 7 episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise.

For Babylon 5 he was the visual effects designer for the pilot The Gathering followed by 65 episodes of the TV series.

For Buffy, he was the visual effects supervisor for the season 7 finale Chosen.
Other work included Spaceballs, Miracles, Captain Scarlet & Undercovers.
He died on November 21 2016 at the age of 59.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Dudley Simpson has passed away.

Born on October 4 1922, Simpson was an Australian composer who composed the theme music for Blake’s 7.

Simpson is also a legend to Doctor Who fans as he composed the incidental music in the first two decades for Doctor Who in the 1960s and 1970s encompassing the eras of the first four Doctors.

Other theme music that he composed included the original The Tomorrow People & Moonbase 3.
Music he composed for other series included Out of the Unknown & The Legend of King Arthur.

He died on November 4 2017 at the age of 95
Old 13-11-2017, 10:19 PM

Scott Fredericks has passed away.
Born in 1943, Fredericks had appeared in the Blake’s 7 episode Weapon playing psychostrategist Carnell.
He also appeared in Doctor Who in Day of the Daleks playing Boaz and in Image of the Fendahl playing Maximillian Stael.
Fredericks later reprised Carnell in the Kaldor City audio series which knits the Doctor Who and Blake’s 7 universe together as Kaldor City was established in the Doctor Who TV story Robots of Death.
Robots of Death and the Blake’s 7 episode that Fredericks was in as Carnell were both written by Chris Boucher who was also the script editor of Blake’s 7.
Prior to the Kaldor City audios, Boucher brought back the Carnell character, who despite having originated as a Blake’s 7 character, in his Doctor Who novel Corpse Marker. This eventually led to Fredericks to reprise Carnell in Kaldor City.
Outside of Blake’s 7 and Doctor Who his work included Strange Report.
He died on November 6 2017.
Old 13-02-2018, 04:16 PM

Jeremy Wilkin has passed away.

Born on June 6 1930, Wilkin had appeared in in Blake’s 7 in the first episode The Way Back playing Dev Tarrant and The Way Back including Wilkin’s scenes would later be included in the video compilation movie The Beginning.

He was also in Doctor Who in Revenge of the Cybermen playing Kellman.
Wilkin had voiced one of the Tracy brothers Virgil in Thunderbirds.

Other work included Man in a Suitcase, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Joe 90, Journey to the Far Side of the Sun, The Secret Service, UFO, The Protectors, The Spy Who Loved Me & The New Avengers.

He died on December 19 2017 at the age of 87 and incidentally he died exactly two weeks before the 40th anniversary of his appearance in the first Blake’s 7 episode on January 2 2018.
Eerily enough I learnt of his passing mere minutes after I saw on DVD his death scene as Kellman in Revenge of the Cybermen.

Jeremy Wilkin tribute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2sNQCbksm8
Old 09-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Peter Miles has passed away.
Born on August 29 1928, Miles had appeared in Blake’s 7 in Seek-Locate-Destroy & Trial playing Rontane.
Miles is one of many actors who appeared in both Blake’s 7 and Doctor Who.
Miles had appeared numerous times in Doctor Who most notably as Dalek creator Davros’ henchman Nyder in Genesis of the Daleks written by Dalek creator Terry Nation who also created Blake’s 7 and wrote Miles’ first appearance as Rontane in Seek-Locate-Destroy.
Davros in Genesis of the Daleks was played by Michael Wisher and while Davros would make further appearances but by different actors, Genesis of the Daleks marked Nyder’s only appearance in Doctor Who as he was exterminated by a Dalek when the Daleks turned on their creator Davros.

Miles later reprised Nyder in two stage versions of The Trial of Davros. In 1993 he was reunited with Wisher as Davros and in 2005 he appeared alongside Terry Molloy as Davros who had played the Dalek creator in the three 1980s Dalek stories and Wisher having died in 1995.

Miles then reprised Nyder alongside Molloy’s Davros in the Big Finish mini-series I, Davros in the final episode Guilt. I, Davros takes place before the events of Genesis of the Daleks for Davros.

Miles’ other Doctor Who roles in the TV series was in The Silurians playing Dr Charles Lawrence and in Invasion of the Dinosaurs playing Professor Whitaker.

In work related to Doctor Who, he appeared in the BBC Radio story The Paradise of Death playing Tragan.
As well as I, Davros: Guilt, Miles’ first work for Big Finish was for one of its early Doctor Who releases Whispers of Terrors playing Gantman.
He then made two appearances in Doctor Who spin-offs produced by Big Finish in Sarah Jane Smith: Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre playing Dr Brandt and in Bernice Summerfield: The Adventure of the Diogenes Damsel playing Straxus.

Other audio work relating to the Doctor Who universe was for BBV Productions in Zygons: Absolution playing Christopher Shaw and for Magic Bullet Productions in the Kaldor City series playing Layly Landerchild.
Also for BBV, Miles appeared in The Stranger video More Than A Messiah playing Bernard. The Stranger video series is a Doctor Who-like series but could not be explicitly be Doctor Who itself due to copyright issues.

He also appeared in the parody video The Few Doctors playing BBC Executive.

Doctor Who and Blake’s 7 were stablemates at the BBC and despite Doctor Who representing the plurality of Miles’ career as listed on IMDb and having made only two appearances in Blake’s 7, it is Blake’s 7 that appears with his name in the IMDb search engine.
Blake’s 7 and Doctor Who were stablemates at the BBC and despite Doctor Who representing the plurality of Miles’ career as listed on IMDb and having made only two appearances in Blake’s 7, it is Blake’s 7 that appears with his name in the IMDb search engine.
He also appeared in Doomwatch in Hear No Evil playing Cook.
Other work included Sherlock Holmes (1964-68), Moonbase 3, The Sweeney, Survivors & The Eagle Has Landed.

Miles died on February 20 2018 at the age of 89.
Old 26-07-2018, 07:43 PM

Dempsey and Makepeace 1.4 Given to Acts of Violence guest starred Brian Croucher and Makepeace of the series title was played by Glynis Barber.
This is of a curio to Blake’s 7 fans as Croucher was the second actor to play Travis while Barber played Soolin in the second and fourth seasons of Blake’s 7 respectively.
While Soolin never encountered Travis, Barber had appeared in Blake’s 7 prior to playing Soolin in the season 1 episode Project Avalon where she played the principal Mutoid an episode that had Stephen Grief as Travis.