Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 29-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
The Thirteenth Hole:
Season 4, Episode 18.
Guest stars Francis Matthews.
Coincidentally I also saw Matthews in The Adventures of Robin Hood 2.34 The Infidel in which he played the episode title character.
Overall not a bad episode that took place at a golf course hence what the episode title was alluding to and involvement of a satellite.
In retrospect should not be surprised that a golf ball is used as a deadly weapon here.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:42 AM

Quick-Quick Slow Death:
Season 4, Episode 19.
Very enjoyable episode in which Steed and Emma's investigates a dance school and Steed is targeted as a victim by the villains here.
Eunice Gayson is pretty good as one of the villains.
Good way to end the episode with Steed and Emma dancing together.

Coincidentally I saw the movie The Lady and The Highwayman which is a curio for The Avengers fans in that the music was composed by Laurie Johnson who had composed The Avengers & The New Avengers and it featured Gareth Hunt who had played Mike Gambit in The New Avengers.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:20 AM

4.21 A Touch of Brimstone is where Emma wears the Queen of Sin outfit:
https://mrspeeluncut.files.wordpress...s-2-720-hd.png

I have thinking about an old high school teacher Karen Mould:
https://www.facebook.com/RandwickGir...type=3&theater

and how she would look like as the Queen of Sin.

Last edited by Matt See; 12-12-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 14-12-2015, 03:16 PM

What The Butler Saw:
Season 4, Episode 22.
A very fun episode in which Steed poses as a butler after secrets were being leaked by butlers of military officers.
Steed was an absolute hoot as a butler including saving Emma from the advances of Group Captain Miles.
Miles is played by Denis Quilley and I coincidentally am also seeing him in Timeslip.
Playing Brigadier Goddard is Howard Marion-Crawford. Not long before this Avengers episode saw Marion-Crawford as Dr Petrie in Face of Fu Manchu, the first of the Fu Manchu film series that is in.
Long before What The Butler Saw, Marion-Crawford had played Dr Watson in the 1950s Sherlock Holmes series.
Just as Marion-Crawford had played a Brigadier in this Avengers episode, Doctor Who's own Brigadier had been said to be the like Watson to the Doctor's Sherlock Holmes when the Doctor was exile on Earth although in The Silurians the Brigadier had jokingly called the Doctor, Doctor Watson.
The plastic baggie that the officers used for their secret conversation certainly brought to mind the cone of silence in Get Smart although there is a difference. The plastic baggie apparently works whilst the cone of silence is reputed for its ineffectiveness of its purpose.
Funny but perhaps predictable line at the end of the butler doing it!
Old 27-12-2015, 01:45 AM

The House That Jack Built:
Season 4, Episode 23.
Emma gets a will from an uncle she never knew in which he has left her with the said house.
As it turned out the so-called uncle is that of a disgruntled former employee of Emma's, whom she fired when she was the head of her late father's company.
Quite sinister on what the said house could do thanks to the so-called uncle.
Surprising on the revelation of the so-called uncle and very good how Emma carried this episode on her own as Steed had very little to do here.
The experience that Emma has here seems somewhat similar to what she would go through in The Joker.
In fact The House That Jack Built & The Joker both have the same writer in producer Brian Clemens.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:24 AM

John Steed got mentioned in the first Doctor Who: The New Adventures novel Timewyrm: Genesys.

This occured when Ace mentioned Steed as one of three spies as examples of all good spies wear disguises as it is a mark of their cunning and skill.
The other two spies that she mentioned were that of James Bond and Mickey Mouse!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:22 PM

A Sense of History:
Antepenultimate episode of season 4.
Guest stars John Ringham and Robin Phillips. A couple of years before this episode was shown in 1966, Ringham and Phillips were both in the first season of Doctor Who but narrowly missed each other as Phillips was in The Keys of Marinus and Ringham in the next story The Aztecs
An economist gets killed by someone dressed as Robin Hood by a shot of an arrow.
In order to find out who the killer is, Steed and Emma goes to a university where the killer is someone who wrote a thesis.
This all culminated in a Robin Hood fancy dress party. At this party Steed is the Sheriff of Nottingham and Emma is a Robin Hood. Another Robin Hood at the party is the villain Eric Duboys played by Patrick Mower.
It is here that another guest star is Jacqueline Pearce and at the party she was dressed I think as Maid Marian. More than a decade after appearing in this episode, Jacqueline Pearce played the villain in Blake's 7 and Blake's 7 has been said to be like Robin Hood in space.
Not bad and very good how the mastermind got revealed after the episode tricked the viewer earlier on about him.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Leonard White has passed away.

Born on November 5 1916, White was co-creator of The Avengers with Sydney Newman. For The Avengers, White was also producer for 40 episodes.

White was also producer of Police Surgeon created by Newman, the series that became the precursor to The Avengers although the two series are not related.

White's later career included producing the Sky & King of the Castle TV serials both written by Doctor Who writers Bob Baker and Dave Martin.

White died on January 2 2016 at the age of 99.
Old 23-01-2016, 12:45 AM

How To Succeed At...Murder:
Penultimate episode of season 4.
This episode would reveal the villain to be a dummy. A little over a decade later Doctor Who closed its 14th season with The Talons of Weng-Chiang and that too had a dummy villain in Mr Sin.
In addition to dummies what both stories have in common is that both shared the same guest star in Christopher Benjamin.
The voice of the dummy Henrietta in this Avengers episode is not credited and there was s...peculation it was either former series regular Honor Blackman or Yolande Turner who had appeared in the flesh in The Girl from Auntie & The 50,000 Breakfast.
IMDb list Turner as Henrietta's voice albeit uncredited but I can't say for certain whether that this was based on irrefutable information or someone made a guest chose to make the guess of Turner and posted it as a fact on IMDb.
An enjoyable episode about women attempting to take over the working world and what a revelation about Henrietta although in retrospect it should not have been that surprising.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Honey For The Prince:
Season 4 finale.
Guest stars Ron Moody who would later regret turning down playing the Third Doctor in Doctor Who. The Third Doctor role would eventually be given to Jon Pertwee and curiously enough Pertwee was in the next Avengers episode after Honey For The Prince, in the season 5 opener From Venus With Love. What is curious about Moody and Pertwee being in each consecutive episode of The Avengers to the casting of the Third Doctor is that Pertwee was the second choice for the Third Doctor after Moody. Therefore Pertwee was able to become the Third Doctor after Moody turned it down.
Also in Honey For The Prince is George Pastell. Just as Honey For The Prince ended The Avengers season 4, Pastell would shortly be in Tomb of the Cybermen which opened Doctor Who season 5. So kind of a revolving door for Pastell as he exited The Avengers season 4 and then entered Doctor Who season 5.
Very enjoyable way to end the fourth season with a fantasy company being used as a tool for an assassination of a visiting prince.
Cute ending with Steed and Emma on a magic carpet only for it not to be what it appeared to be.