Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Travel & Tourism Discussion

Travel & Tourism Discussion You are welcome to post questions, stories or experience travelling in Papua New Guinea.

Old 22-07-2003, 08:33 AM

janetgyford is on a distinguished road
Question Luard Islands

Please can anyone tell me anything about what the Luard Islands are like ? A photo would be great.

I believe they are between Morobe and Salamaua but that is all I have found out.

The reason I want to know is that I live in the UK, and am studying the history of the place where I live which is Witham in Essex. Apparently the Luard Islands were named after one of our residents, Captain William Luard. I don't think he ever went there, but he was a friend of Captain Moresby so Captain M called them after him. This was in about 1870.

Later Capt Luard became Admiral Sir William Luard. He had had an adventurous career in the navy, but ended up as a kindly old gentleman with a long beard who lived until he was 90 (he died in 1910 after falling from his carriage). He had several daughters who stayed here and did good works.

Thanks
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 25-08-2003, 08:08 AM

Alfred Apps is on a distinguished road
Admiral Sir William Luard

I am a great great grandson of Admiral Luard. One of his sons, my great grandfather, Arthur DuCane Luard (d, 1945), came out to Canada in the late 1800's. My grandmother, Charlotte Gertrude Lloyd Luard (d. 1985) remembered going to the Lodge and Ivey Chimneys in Whitham in the early 1900's. I am most interested in any information you have on the Admiral and his family. I practice corporate law in Toronto. Married (age 46) with 5 daughters, one of whom is named Olivia Johanna Mary DuCane Apps and another named Grace Renate Luard Apps.
Old 29-06-2004, 08:00 AM

Dave Bindon is on a distinguished road
Hi Alfred
I'm a very distant cousin of yours - if you take your Luard line back through the du Canes, to the marriage of Peter Du Cane and Mary Norris, then take Mary's line back through several generations, we have a common ancestor called George Slocombe (who died in Somerset, UK, in 1600). Please get in touch if you'd like details.
My direct e-mail address is dave@bindonclan.fsnet.co.uk
Best wishes from London
Dave Bindon
Old 03-07-2005, 06:27 PM

crgb is on a distinguished road
I have a little to add on the subject of ancestor Admiral Luard.

My great grandfather wrote a history of my family in 1916 in which he recounts that his sister was a governess to the Luard family at one time. This was probably about 1870.

This is what he says:

‘My sister Mary Kennett Beauchamp reverted to the old name when she left home to become a governess. She was for a few years governess to the children of Captn. Luard R.N. then officer-in-charge of Sheerness Dock Yard - and proprietor of Witham Hall - Essex - Captn. Luard became eventually Admiral Sir Charles (sic) Luard - he was a staunch Liberal and kept up his Huguenot traditions as his family had - He was married to a Miss Du Cane also of Huguenot descent -

- My sister was very fond of the Luard family and Captn L treated her almost as one of his own children and used to take them about - Mrs. Luard was very quiet and reticent and preferred the quiet of her home at all times - Admiral Luard (born in 1819) lived to be over 90 - General Luard was his cousin -’

Last edited by crgb; 04-07-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:36 PM

djoe0635 is on a distinguished road
Islands visit can be a lot of fun and certainly experiencing the correct approach would be very decent.
On a general level seeing the kind of time we get to spend there is very decent.