Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 20-05-2004, 08:20 AM

BJ Hale is on a distinguished road
Human rights in PNG questioned again

Unamused to read two stories in yesterdays courier mail showing flagrant disregard for L &O and police help, as well as noting that PNG is regarded as being in the top 101 countries in the world for violation of human rights!!

I am appalled that the headline reading NCD undersiege, outlined an array of holdups and worse, that there is a real guerilla mentality in the thuggery that now control the streets.

How do those of you in PNG see things? It's very hard for us out of country to get a REAL view on things as we always take the press with a grain of salt.

Someone give us THE REAL SCOOP! please.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 28-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Yes, sad but true at the present time here in Port Moresby. In the past few weeks there has been numerous holdups particularly in the CBD itself. Its usually snatch and grab situation whereby they want your money, jewellery, mobile phones, keys, car and they get away quickly. One jewellery store in Port Moresby was held up but I havent heard of any rape, murder or the like, they just want a quick buck. For those of us who live and work here, we are always aware of the situation and take care at all times.

When trekkers ask me, can we walk around outside the hotel, I always answer NO. We live here and we would never do that. There was an incident outside the Crowne Plaza a couple of weeks ago whereby a group of people staying there decided to go across the road to restaurant for a meal. On the way back they were held up on the road.

At night here in Port Moresby its best to go home and stay home but if you have to go out, you avoid all the hot spots and remain cautious at all times.

I have heard the police only have a ration of fuel and once it is used up there is no more. Basically, we need help and we need it quick here in PNG so we the people can live a normal life outside our homes or fences.

Having said this, I work with three South African's and they say what we experience here in PNG is nothing compared to living in their country so I guess we should feel lucky!

I think the main thing for tourists is that they heed the advice of local people living here and also ask the Manager of the Hotel where you are staying what they can and cant do. Please do not go wandering around by yourselves and take care at all times.