Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 29-10-2003, 10:41 PM

webby is on a distinguished road
Lae memories 1964-71

I don't know where to start. This has brought back SO many memories from my childhood. We moved to Lae in Sept 64 and went finish in May 71. I'm Chris Webster and my Dad Alan was with Watkins. My mother Joan worked in the library.My younger sister is Andrea.
Andrea and I both started school at Bulae, does any one remember Miss
Legar( not sure on the spelling) she was my prep teacher. Miss Burns who drove a an old Vangard ( the purple people eater she called it ) Mr Thompson was the principle at Bulae in the late 60's,I think.

Can any body recall these names from my past? They were all in my class,or my sisters. Ian Walker, his house was almost oposite ours on Cassia Cresent. Stephen Docker, Daniel Bennet, Susan Grey, Margot Smith( I sat next to Margot on our first day of school) Susan's sister Helen Grey was my sisters close friend, and the Grey boys Andrew and Paul were mates of mine.

Some of my parents friends were John and Jo Smith. Norm and Ruth Goward, Rae and Mavor, Jean and Bryan Grey,Lloyd Spike, Pat and Grayham Hardy. Ring any bells for anyone?

I've recently gone though the family slide collection and once they are on disc will try to post some pics
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Lae memories

Hi Chris,

You're not a contemporary of mine - 10 years younger, in fact (around the same age as my brother, Richard, who was born in Lae but "went finish" in 1966). That said, any photos you have would pertain to roughly the same era, and I'm sure I and others whose childhood years were spent in Lae would love to see them.

Regards, Wendy

chris,
Quote:
Originally Posted by webby
I don't know where to start. This has brought back SO many memories from my childhood. We moved to Lae in Sept 64 and went finish in May 71. I'm Chris Webster and my Dad Alan was with Watkins. My mother Joan worked in the library...
I've recently gone though the family slide collection and once they are on disc will try to post some pics

Last edited by wendyemc; 05-12-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 14-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hello and welcome to our website. The names do not ring a bell but I am sure they will with other viewers to our website.

Like Wendy, let me know when you are ready to post some photographs and I will set up an area for you in our Photo Gallery.

tks for popping in and taking the time to post.

I too worked for Watkins when Dennis Lee Sye was in charge. Also worked with Dave Thompson & Dave Robertson. In fact just now on TV was Dave's daughter Denise who goes by the name of Denise Roberts an actress in Sydney.
Old 31-05-2004, 02:52 AM

ginger orchid is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up don't remember you exactly but...

We arrived in Lae in 1969, and my dad worked for Watkins. After a year, we went to Hagen and then came back to Lae and lived in Cassia Crescent.

I sort of remember some of the names you mentioned, but can't say I actually new you. But hello anyway.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:10 PM

Craigm is on a distinguished road
What is it about Cassia Crecent!! Seems everyone used to live there - we did, from about 1968/69 to 1974. Last house at the "Roundwater" end. Our end of Cassia Cresc had the Martins (us), Evans, Sheldricks, Delacruzes and Kellys in residence variously over that time. Never short of a stack of kids to muck around with after school. Didnt miss TV at all. Feel very sorry for the kids of today not having that "richness" of social interraction (and freedom to roam).
Old 25-07-2004, 04:07 PM

Cdurman is on a distinguished road
I remeber the Delacruz's- Rosita wound up going ot my High School in Brisbane a few years later. We lived on Vee st across from the SDA.
Cheers, Chris Durman
Old 29-07-2004, 10:44 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
not all of us lived in cassia crescent I lived in oleander ave
Old 31-07-2004, 01:17 AM

ginger orchid is on a distinguished road
some others to remember

I shared a flat with Rosita Delacruz out at 8 mile.
We all used to go dancing at the Restaurant at the Lae Club.

Some of the other people I remember were Pauley Comboy, Paula and Jeff Hardman, Dirty ****, Leroy Eastwood. I opened up a disco at the Aero Club on friday and Sat nights...it was called The Flybynite.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:46 PM

deirdre inkster is on a distinguished road
webby

I don't know where to start. This has brought back SO many memories from my childhood. We moved to Lae in Sept 64 and went finish in May 71. I'm Chris Webster and my Dad Alan was with Watkins. My mother Joan worked in the library.My younger sister is Andrea.
Legar( not sure on the spelling) she was my prep teacher. Miss Burns who drove a an old Vangard ( the purple people eater she called it ) Mr Thompson was the principle at Bulae in the late 60's,I think.

Can any body recall these names from my past? They were all in my class,or my sisters. Ian Walker, his house was almost oposite ours on Cassia Cresent. Stephen Docker, Daniel Bennet, Susan Grey, Margot Smith( I sat next to Margot on our first day of school) Susan's sister Helen Grey was my sisters close friend, and the Grey boys Andrew and Paul were mates of mine.

Some of my parents friends were John and Jo Smith. Norm and Ruth Goward, Rae and Mavor, Jean and Bryan Grey,Lloyd Spike, Pat and Grayham Hardy. Ring any bells for anyone?

Old 16-10-2004, 11:47 PM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Margot Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdre inkster

Margot Smith lives in Sydney. My mother used to babysit Margot and her sister Karen in Lae. These days our mothers are virtually neighbours in Sydney...