Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 15-02-2020, 04:21 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Michael J. Pollard has passed away.

Born on May 30 1939, Pollard appeared in the original Star Trek in Miri playing Jahn.

He was also in Lost In Space in The Magic Mirror playing The Boy.

Other work includes Alfred Hitchc(o)ck Presents, The Lucy Show, Bonnie and Clyde, American Gothic, Crime Story, Scrooged, Tango & Cash, D(i)ck Tracy, Eerie, Indiana & Becker.

He died on November 20 2019 at the age of 80.

Last edited by Matt See; 22-04-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 17-02-2020, 01:28 AM

Star Trek: Picard - 1 x 1 - Remembrance:
Series opener.
First appearance by Orla Brady becoming the latest person to appear in both Doctor Who and Star Trek.
She had appeared in the Matt Smith swansong The Time of the Doctor.
Just as she was there for the end of the Eleventh Doctor, here she is, paradoxically, for the start of Picard.
Very start to the series.
Intriguing about Dahj but shockingly when she got killed.
As well as Picard another familiar face here is Data and that revelation about Daughter.
It is revealed that Picard had quit Starfleet and the reason why is one I can personally appreciate.
Also intriguing that it ends with Narek meeting Dahj's twin Soji.

Coincidentally just before seeing Remembrance I saw Sir Patrick Stewart in Charlie's Angels (2019).

Meanwhile Star Trek: Picard has been renewed for a second season.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:46 AM

Saw the movie Green Room (2015) and in a curio for Star Trek fans it starred Anton Yelchin (Chekov) and Patrick Stewart (Picard).
However it is not the first time that Stewart had been in the same movie that also had a Chekov actor.
Original Chekov actor Walter Koenig reprised his character briefly in the first TNG movie Generations but Picard and Chekov as they were each in separate time periods.
Old 15-04-2020, 04:28 PM

Robert Walker Jr has passed away.
Born on April 15 1940, Walker appeared in the original Star Trek in Charlie X playing the said Charlie, Charlie Evans.
His other work included The Eleventh Hour (a TV series that shared the same name with my wife Karen Gillan's Amy Pond debut), Days of Our Lives, The Time Tunnel, Columbo & The Six Million Dollar Man.
He died on December 5 2019 at the age of 79.
Old 22-04-2020, 10:22 PM

Star Trek: Picard - 1 x 2 - Maps and Legends:
Interesting flashback with the synthetics attack on Mars.
We meet Dr Moritz Benayoun (David Paymer), Picard's colleague on the Stargazer.
I would have thought the one doctor to turn up here is Beverly Crusher and I checked with Gates McFadden on IMDb and she hasn't acted since 2017.
However I would not think it unlikely for her to come out of retirement for her to be in and with Picard.
Admiral Clancy violently rejected Picard's request and she made me think of someone I know as she treated exactly the same way that Admiral Clancy treated Picard.
Admiral Clancy drops the f bomb.
This is not the first time that the f bomb has been dropped in Star Trek as it had been dropped in Star Trek: Discovery: Choose Your Pain.
However Picard is essentially an extension of TNG and hard to grasp the f bomb being part of the TNG atmosphere.
Tamlyn Tomita makes her debut as Commodore Oh.
This came on January 30 2020 and at the start of the same month Doctor Who: Spyfall Part One had a similarly named character of O before he was revealed to be the Master.
I first seen Tomita in her only appearance in Babylon 5 in the pilot The Gathering.
Having said that she unfortunately never appeared on rival space station Deep Space Nine.
Picard said that he never cared for science fiction.
Long before TNG, Patrick Stewart worked with Lalla Ward in a BBC TV production of Hamlet just before the latter played Romana in Doctor Who.
Ward later said in interviews recalls being chided by Stewart for starring in a science fiction TV series.
Yet Stewart ended up playing a science fiction character in a visual medium longer than Lalla Ward did as Romana in Doctor Who!
Riker, Worf and La Forge gets mentioned but Picard refused to seek their help.
We instead meet new character Raffi (Michelle Hurd).
Old 24-04-2020, 06:51 PM

Star Trek: Picard - 1 x 3 - The End is the Beginning:
Series debut by Santiago Cabrera as Cristobal "Chris" Rios.
This also sees the return of Jonathan Del Arco as the now former Borg drone, Hugh.
Fascinating flashback from 14 years prior on why Picard quit Starfleet and why Raffi no longer talked to him.
Also fascinating when Soji met with that Romulan.
Exciting when the attack on Picard and friends were made and leading to the start of the mission on La Sirena.
Old 30-04-2020, 06:08 PM

Star Trek: Picard - 1 x 4 - Absolute Candor:
Directed by Jonathan Frakes, Patrick Stewart's former TNG co-star in this his series directorial debut.
Another flashback from 14 years previously, this time to the planet Vashti where we introduced to Elnor, then a young boy and in the present joins Picard's mission.
Shocking when Elnor decapitated a Romulan Senator's head when saving Picard's life. Such a scene is completely unprecedented in Star Trek.
Surprising end when the pilot of a damaged ship was beamed to the La Sirena and it turned out to be Seven of Nine.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Star Trek: Picard - 1 x 5 - Stardust City Rag:
In a flashback this brings back Icheb from Voyager but Seven was forced to euthanize him after he was tortured for his Borg parts.
In Voyager Icheb was played by Manu Intiraymi but in Stardust City Rag he is instead played by Casey King
In an interview Intiraymi said he was not approached to reprise him and would have agreed to come back had he been asked.
In another recasting is with Bruce Maddox.
Maddox was originally played by Brian Brophy in TNG's The Measure of a Man but in Stardust City Rag he is played by John Ales.
Looked Brophy up on IMDb and it seemed that he had retired from acting in 2004 but then sporadically acted between 2009 and 2014.
This ultimately was about Seven getting revenge on black market dealer Bjayzl who forced her to kill Icheb.
It seems anti-climatic if not predictable that Seven does get her revenge on Bjayzi as she broke her word to Picard that she was not going to and of course after Picard left her on Freecloud.
Quite a shock that Jurati kills Maddox as it was revealed they were in a secret relationship.
Old 18-05-2020, 03:06 PM

Star Trek: Picard - 1 x 6 - The Impossible Box:
The said impossible box is the Artifact where Picard reunites with Hugh.
Pretty impressive beforehand how Raffi got clearance to go to the Artifact.
Horrifying that Soji discovering that she is not who she thinks she is.

Surprised that the trailer for the next episode Nepenthe includes Will Riker!
Old 25-05-2020, 04:00 AM

Star Trek: Picard - 1 x 7 - Nepenthe:
Antepenultimate story of season 1.
This starts by presenting more of the talk between Jurati and Oh revealing how the former became a spy for the latter.
Harrowing seeing Jurati putting herself into a coma so that the tracker be stopped.
This episode sees the return of Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker and Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi with Nepenthe the name of their home planet.
Frakes was credited as Special Guest Star in the title sequence but not Marina.
Most probably because Frakes had been seen in the trailer of at the end of the previous episode The Impossible Box whereas Marina was not.
We also meet Will and Deanna's daughter Kestra and sadly learn about their late son Thad.
Another long-time character dies this time it's Hugh.
Not bad as this sees Soji handling the fact that she is an android.