Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM

fritz@brbb.com. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanakaken View Post
I knew Horst, we weren't close friends but the fellow he was with was a carpenter who I think worked for Paul Sproule and sons, and unfortunately his name escapes me at the moment. The accident was reported in the Sydney Daily Telegraph and it's possible you may get more info if you contact them. The accident occurred in 1969 and they were both diving on a ship in Simpson Habour. Their hobby was to collect unexploded ordinance, take it to a Jap tunnel and pull it apart, a very dangerous pastime. I found and took photos of 2 or 3 of their bombs inside a tunnel on Tunnel Hill Road.
They had found a number of bombs on board the ship they were diving on and had them laying on deck ready to bring to the surface. Apparently the ship was not on a secure even keel and a strong current caused it to lurch to one side. This caused the bombs to roll across the deck and as they did so, they panicked and swam as fast as possible for the surface so as tho have their head and shoulders out of they water if the bomb/s went of. Horst was the deepest down the other fellow was fairly close to the surface so the effect of the depth was not so great on him. I think what happened to Horst was that in his panic to get up, he failed to breath out sufficiently as he rose to the surface and the oxygen in his lungs expanded to the point where it was forced into his blood stream. They were not using a mixture of gasses for they were relatively shallow.
As they broke the surface, one of the bombs did in fact go off but they were uninjured by that. Unfortunately though, Horst died from oxygen embolism.
At the time I was working as a plumber for the Dept of Public Works.
Ken Lyneham
G'day Ken
I knew both Horst and Stewart very well, it was I and my partner who decompressed Stewart at the wharf until late that night. I was also at the hospital and spoke to Horst around midnight that night; he passed away in the morning. Your recollection is close but not quite right. Horst was a very experienced diver he was not or ever did collect ammunition, he was simply doing a deep dive on the upside down wreck (280ft to the propeller and approx 320 to the bottom) Horst was considered a very good diver and frugal with air but on this dive he had a faulty mask which caused him to consume more air, this left him nothing to decompress with, on this dive they missed the wreck and wasted a lot of precious time at 320ft which got them into serious deco time. Stewart survived because he was able to do some of his stops, Horst had no air and was forced to the top and get his spare bottle of air, he passed out under water. I cover Horsts death in my book “The last New Guinea Salvage Pirate” Bob Scott has good knowledge of the incident also as he helped to get Horst back to shore. It was a very sad day.
Fritz Herscheid
Old 29-09-2010, 03:04 PM

kanakaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz@brbb.com. View Post
G'day Ken
I knew both Horst and Stewart very well, it was I and my partner who decompressed Stewart at the wharf until late that night. I was also at the hospital and spoke to Horst around midnight that night; he passed away in the morning. Your recollection is close but not quite right. Horst was a very experienced diver he was not or ever did collect ammunition,
G'day Fritz, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on this matter. I will admit, in my dotage, I tend to forget things, like the name of Horst's diving buddy. You have provided it and I thank you, assuming that is, that the 'Stewart' you mentioned was a carpenter. If that's the case then he is the one who lent me his scuba gear so that I could carry out a couple of underwater jobs for Public Works.
Do you know the full name of, or the whereabouts of Stewart today, or any way that I may contact him please?
Ken Lyneham.

Last edited by kanakaken; 29-09-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 29-09-2010, 06:12 PM

Sorry Ken I can’t help you with Stewart Holmes address or if in fact he was a carpenter, but he probably was due to his close association with Horst. There was another diver who was a carpenter that I taught to dive just before Horsts accident and that was John Lindsey. Just to put you in the picture in the boat at the time of the accident was Horst, Stewart, and two girls Valerie Richards (Horsts girlfriend) and (now I forget the first name) somebody Templeton. I will ask several old Rabaul contacts, maybe they know stewart. As I said you should try and get hold of “the Last New Guinea Salvage Pirate” from Ocean Enterprises (Peter Stone) or any Angus and Robertson store can get you a copy, I think you would find it very interesting.
Regards, Fritz herscheid
Old 29-09-2010, 06:19 PM

Sorry Ken I can’t help you with Stewart Holmes address or if in fact he was a carpenter, but he probably was due to his close association with Horst. There was another diver who was a carpenter that I taught to dive just before Horsts accident and that was John Lindsey. Just to put you in the picture in the boat at the time of the accident was Horst, Stewart, and two girls Valerie Richards (Horsts girlfriend) and (now I forget the first name) somebody Templeton. I will ask several old Rabaul contacts, maybe they know stewart. As I said you should try and get hold of “the Last New Guinea Salvage Pirate” from Ocean Enterprises (Peter Stone) or any Angus and Robertson store can get you a copy, I think you would find it very interesting.
Regards, Fritz herscheid
Old 29-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Rabaul dive accident 1969

Regards, Fritz herscheid
Old 30-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks Fritz, I'm pretty sure the bloke I'm thinking of was Stewart. It was probably a couple of months before the accident that I borrowed the scuba gear. I was working for Public Works as I said.
Bill Williman of Malaguna was my boss at the time and was pretty impressed with me being able to fix an underwater sewer choke out at Rapindik. Sometime later he asked me to fix the suction side of the fire fighting system at wreck wharf. I found that the basket on the end of the suction line in the harbour under the wharf had become clogged with barnacles and coral. When I tried to clean it off, the whole lot dropped to the bottom. That fixed it for good!! I digress.
Do you remember who Stewart and John were working for at the time? Did either of them work for Paul & Sproul ??
Cheers
Ken
Old 30-09-2010, 01:18 PM

I just got off the phone to John, he did work for Paul and Sproul while in Rabaul. I bought the dive compressor and dive school from George Tyres and was set up in China Town. in those days there were only two compressors mine and a much smaller unit owned by Short and Scott, most people got their air from me so we must have met. John said he didnt remember you. a photo from back in the late 60's might jog his memory. where do you live now?
Old 30-09-2010, 03:43 PM

I arrived in Rabaul at the end of April or beginning of May, 1968. I started work for A.M. Jennings On the 3rd of May 1968 and finished on 31st of May and then started working for Paul & Thompson, (not Sproul), still it was the same company, the following workday in June. I only worked for Larry Paul for about 2 or 3 weeks until my application for employment with The Department of Public Works came through. I then started to work for PWD !st July. So it was after I started working for PWD that I borrowed The scuba gear to do the two underwater jobs.
So far I have found only two photos, neither of them much good. One is the shot I took of the three bombs stashed in the tunnel on Haus Guria Rd off Tunnel Hill Rd. the other is of me filming in a village called Kurategete. No one would recognize me as I am looking through the lens of the movie camera. Besides I have tried but I can't work out how to attach a photo here for all to see.
I have lived in Penrith, west of Sydney, since 1979. I used to live in Riverwood. It's not surprising that I'm not remembered, I spent very little of my spare time in Rabaul. Mostly I was in Kurategete or the surrounding villages, visiting Tolai friends and going to sing-sings. I had a blue Honda 90cc, and would always take off on that at the first opportunity.
I will try & find more photos, in the meantime can you enlighten me on how to download photos to this forum please?
By the way, if you are ever in this neck of the woods, I can be contacted on; 0402093267, or 0247301372. E-mail, sylviakenl@aapt.net.au.
Lukim YU.
Ken Lyneham.
Old 30-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Fritz, I just tried again to download a photo and found that all I can download is 200KB, when the black & white photo of the bombs is 24.6MB. So the best way is if I add photos to e-mail & send them that way.
Cheers
Ken
Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM

GraemeW is on a distinguished road
Val Richards married a doctor in Lae, Dusan Mikula. Lost touch in the late 70's. Terri was the name of the Templeton girl who was also on the boat. Both very good friends of my late wife, Gillian (nee Mann) when she was also at Nonga. Gill and Val were posted to Sohano together late 67 to mid 68. Graeme Wellington