Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 08-12-2002, 12:34 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Xmas Lights and a new Mural at the Boroko Foodword Roundabout- Justin Tkatchenko

Thanks to Justin Tkatchenko, firstly for organising this, and secondly thanks to Larry Santana for his artwork in helping to make this a Christmas to remember here in our capital city of Port Moresby.

For the first time EVER that I can remember, we can feel a little bit like Christmas, why, because this evening while driving home from dinner at Asia Aromas, I spotted a number of men painting a mural at the Boroko Foodworld Roundabout.

Instead of passing through the roundabout heading home, I turned my car around, stopped and asked Muppie a passenger in my car to take the photos.

The mural is still under construction, however it can only be described as a wonderful joyful sight even in its infancy ! I mean WOW !

I have never met Justin, but I noticed he was around some years back when the city streets of Port Moresby took on a new look. Trees were planted and watered regularly and over time you could really notice our city taking a turn for the better.

Sadly, since he has not been involved in the Botantical Gardens or NCDC, our city has gradually deteriorated to the point we were judged the worst city in the world.

Lately however, I have noted that buai and second hand sellers have been sent packing to other venues outside the city limits (thanks again whoever is responsible), and now we have lights and a new mural for Christmas. Are we trying to get off the bottom of the list or what ?

EXCELLENT WORK ! keep up the initiative and thanks once again to all who have achieved these changes in our city. Just goes to show, how such a small gesture can bring so much joy to the people of Port Moresby who drive through this area day in day out.

To the tourists coming into PNG, it will show them we care about our city and our people and as a double whammy, if it can brighten up the lives of the people who live here its a small price to pay !

The mural is being painted by Larry Santana and his helpers.

From just one citizen living here in Port Moresby, I thank you Justin for doing whatever it took to organise this on behalf of Port Moresby City.

Justin, if your appointment on the tourism board does for tourism what you will have achieved for Christmas, www.pngbd.com can only welcome your appointment.

CONGRATULATIONS AND THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THIS MURAL AND LIGHTING !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic2500.jpg (10.3 KB, 353 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 08-12-2002, 12:47 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Mural still under construction complete with scaffolding :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (17.2 KB, 336 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 12:57 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Another View of the Mural.

A set of colourful lights has also been constructioned around the perimeter of the boundary of the roundabout which leads to Boroko Foodworld Supermarket :

I am sure this will be a huge crowd stopper especially as Christmas draws closer....once again, WELL DONE guys !

Only one question remains, is there any more like this on the agenda or is this the first and last of its kind !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mural2500.jpg (16.9 KB, 339 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 12:58 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Bright colourful lights :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lights.jpg (6.1 KB, 333 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 01:01 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Call me a big kid, but thanks to these guys our christmas is a little bit brighter this year !

Apology for the quality but my digital camera does not like night photos that well and I always struggle with Photoshop to try and get the ok for your viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg men.jpg (18.9 KB, 333 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 01:03 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

This photo of Larry and his helpers was taken around 11pm on the 7th December, 2002.

At this point of time they did not look like they were heading home so an even bigger thank you for going the extra yard and working through the night to complete this project to make us proud of our city.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg larry.jpg (18.6 KB, 318 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Full view of the roundabout whilst under construction taken 7th December, 2002 :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roundabout.jpg (16.1 KB, 313 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 02:18 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

For those of you who do not know Justin, here he is seen here with Miss PNG Red Cross 2002 as he was her sponsor :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaku-&-her-sponsor.jpg (32.1 KB, 308 views)
Old 08-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

HO HO HO, Merry Christmas to everyone who reads this thread from all of us here at pngbd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santa500.jpg (23.1 KB, 303 views)