Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 31-10-2003, 11:22 PM

happiness_au is on a distinguished road
Mt Hagen International Primary School

HI,
Duncan Logan here.

Putting out the feelers to stir up any memories of primary school in Mt hagen. I attended 1975 to 1981
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 10-11-2003, 08:03 PM

Biddy is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I was only at the school from 86-87 then we went to Mendi. But I do remeber Mrs Lash and Mrs Howls and Rosie Freeman. My parents lived back in hagen for a while in the late 90's and the school is still there though with a new paint job and less students.
Old 19-11-2003, 10:41 PM

I remember Mrs Lash but not the other two teachers. I am planning to visit the area in March-Aprill 04, give everything the once over.
Old 17-06-2004, 11:52 PM

Angry re visit

I am still to visit, now hopping for september october
Old 13-05-2005, 02:12 PM

LADY LIBERTY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness_au
I am still to visit, now hopping for september october
Just wondering if you are Sadie's older brother ? I attended HIPS from 1978 - 1984 .

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"
Old 15-05-2005, 11:04 PM

Yes I am Sadies older brother. She is Living in Brisbane with her two children.

her email address is "mercs_33@hotmail.com"
Old 16-03-2006, 06:49 PM

alistair is on a distinguished road
Hey there Duncan

Alistair Burrows here ... do names like John Chakolakis (dad managed at Air Nuigini), David Hawke (dad flew for MAF), Chris (who's mum was our 3rd teacher in 6th grade (82) after Mrs ??? and Mrs Black dropped out), Collin (dad managed the Christian bookstore), Brad, Patrica (mother taught 5th grade in 82, Lynette Usher (dad flew for MAF), Alex, Robyn Stockton (dad flew for MAF), ring any bells (my memory is fading here...)... and others who I can picture in my mind, but who's names elude me right now...

In 81 when I was in 5th grade, Miss Davis was our teacher, and Nola Crawford was the head mistress.

School play in 81 was Oliver Twist, and The Wizard of Oz in 82.

I was at Hagen for 80-82, and started out in Banz 77-78 (we were back in England for a year in between..)

You can contact me at alistair@adaptive-bt.com
Old 16-03-2006, 08:17 PM

this one's directed at Lady Liberty..

Hmm...if you were at HIPS till 84, you must have been in my sister's class - do you remember Philippa?

Last edited by alistair; 16-03-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 18-03-2006, 03:35 PM

hagen

Hi Alistair,

Your name is as clear as a bell in my memory, just struggled to connect with a face....
I did year 6 in 81. My sister Sadie did year 6 in 83.

I remember being a part of Oliver. No idea what my role was. probably in the background somewhere.

What part of the world are you in these days??

duncan
Old 19-03-2006, 04:53 PM

Gang chases, foursquare and other elementary recess entertainment

Hi Duncan,

Ah...what memories...hmm and on my previous post, when I said Collin, I actually meant Mark...

Have you ever been in touch with any of the crowd that ended up at Bamboo Heights? I gather you were off to Lae for high school - I was a year behind you (for a face, think freckles, lots of freckles...). I think I was Charlie in Oliver (one of the artful dodger's cohorts - all I remember is David Hawke played Fagin, and I think Robert Payton/Payne (I'm not sure of his surname any more - he was one of your classmates - his dad was an MAF pilot) played Oliver.

I lived about 40km out of town just over the wara Tuman bridge on the way to Kudjip. When I was in year 4 (just the latter half) may parents used to share the commute in with the Eby's (Melanie was in year 6 when you were in year 5).

For year 5 we shared the commute with the Johnston's (Joanne was a year below me - one of the only Americans other than the Kirks (Joanne in your class, I think, and her younger brother Tim - I believe they lived at the Wesleyan hostel in town as their parents were in either SHP or Enga). My sister Philippa was 2 years below me, so I'm sure she would remember Sadie. I'm going to have to scape up some old class pictures to go down memory lane. If I find some, I'll scan and post...

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who would know how to get in touch with David Hawke or John Chakalakis would you?

Anyway, after year 6, I was off to Ukarumpa for high school (I think mostly because I thought it would be cool to get away from home (plus all the older kids had motorbikes etc...) rather than stay in Hagen and go to Bamboo Heights.

My family left PNG mid 1984 - we were in England for a year, and went to Southern Germany/Switzerland in mid 85. I did a couple of years in Swiss school, and then went to and English speaking boarding school in the Black Forest, as my original plan was to become a bush pilot and come back to PNG. Anyway, I ended up graduating from High School in 1990 rather than 88 due to the differences in school year beginnings from the northern to southern hemispheres, learning German, and of course, at that time the Swiss started their school year in April, just to be different...

After high school, I went to a univerisity in Texas for a year (again, my plan was to become a bush pilot and have a mechanic's rating), but I realized I couldn't afford it, so I went into electrical engineering for the challenge. A former classmate and a former teacher talked me into moving to Canada for the rest of University as it was cheaper than the US (and better in their minds...) so I ended up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, smack in the middle of Canada (in Winter, think cold, very cold, in summer, Mosquitoes!) and I've ended up staying here ever since - got married, started an I.T. consulting business etc.

Did you live in town, or were out on a plantation?

Anyway, it's great to have found a few names from that era - I'd searched around the net around 2000 (I was feeling nostalgic at the time) I hadn't been able to turn anything up...

Alistair