Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM

John Vogel is on a distinguished road
I was LIHS Bell ringer in '80 & '81

Hi there,

John Vogel here, although I was known as John Tamplin during my days in Lae (76 - 81). Just saying hi to people who went to school with me at Bulae from '76 - '79 and also LIHS fom '80 to '81. Have managed to make contact with, or been contacted by, a number of people that I went to school with including Carole Saunder, Ferdie Tamayo, Paul Kirkpatrck, Yulbert Reyes, Gillian Mckie and Petra Bensch, just to name a few.

Lot's has happened since I left Lae, including losing my mum (who owned and ran the Lae Day Nursery near Bulae), 12 months after we came back to Oz. It's a long story but unfortunately as a result I also lost all photo's and possesions that I got from my time in Lae.

To jog your memory even more, my step dad, (and the person responsible for my mother's passing), was the head engineer at the Melanesian Hotel and was also invlolved in The Lions club and Handicapped Children's association. We also lived in a house behind in the Melo compound, down the back behind the pool.

You may also remember that I had a younger brother called Trevor who was deaf.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who was up there at the time and remembers me.

Until then, take care and look after yourself.

Regards .... John Vogel (Tamplin)

Ps: Does anyone know what ever happened to the likes of Peter Connelly, Anne Shearer, Megan Jones & Rilda Hoffman?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 PM

kazza is on a distinguished road
I think I knew of you ...

My name is Kz and my brother's name is Warren McCrea. Rilda lived next door to us on Cassowary Drive.

I liked Rilda very much and have often wondered over the years where her life took her (and her Mum). Even though a few years older than her we would listen to Suzie Quatro and act really stupid (lol - still remember). She was a beautiful young friend when I didn't really have any.

Sorry about your Mum but I hope all is good for you now.

Kazza
Old 09-12-2007, 12:04 AM

donfriel is on a distinguished road
Wozza

Hi John. Donovan Friel here. I remember you.
KZ. I really remember your brother. We used to hang out on our bikes and stuff.
I had often thought about what he got up to. Say gday.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 PM

vickus is on a distinguished road
Hello John...This is Vicki Kilroy. I remember you very well...also your mother and your brother. I certainly remember at school us hoping you would ring the bell so we could go to lunch and get out of Brodies maths class!!!
I hope life is treating you well John...sorry to hear about your mum and the circumstances of her death. My mother passed away in 2000...breast cancer.
Kindest regards...Vicki
Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 PM

kazza is on a distinguished road
Warren McCrea

Warren says hi to one and all and asked me to pass on his e-mail address ... so here it is

Autofleet@ecn.net.au
Old 27-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Hey Guys, have just made it back online after a busy Chrissy period, to find your messages. It's great to hear from you guys. Donovan I also remember you well. Your mum had the nursery across the road from my mum. Vicki, I remember your name too but have to admit that I'm a bit vague on remembering what you looked like... Sorry! You must've made an impression thought 'cos i do remember you! Kazza, Warren was a good mate of mine and in fact I remember catching up with him at the Coffee Club here in Toowong, at reunion organised by Yulbert Reyes about 10 years ago. At that time I think he was living in Ipswich? Where is he now?

We're also having a reuinion of sorts here in Brissy in a few weeks on Sat 19th January. if any of you guys could make it, that would be just sensational. let me know on jvogelhogboy@yahoo.com.au and i can give you the details. Vicki.... I don't know that I'll be doing a bell ringing demonstration at the reunion though :-) .... aahh, good ole Miss Brodie huh!!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Cool Moderator

robbo is on a distinguished road
Hi John

Yes i remember you , and Vicki's right we use to hang for your ring!!!!

My name is Pauline Robertson, Warren and I were good mates, along with Mark Buhler....My brother is Andrew .

Sorry to hear about your mom, my dad passed away 4 years ago this year, he use to own Nuigini Builders, his name was David. And they say time heals, well is happening very slowly..

Take care

Vicki and I and Anna Maria Murphy use to hang out...maybe you might remember her sister Claudia...

I went to your ma's day care, Ha i think every body did.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL !!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Cool Moderator

robbo is on a distinguished road
Talking Rilda Hoffman

Ha Kaz that was a blast from the past, hearing her name, I bumped into her in sydney one day at the train station, she hadnt changed one bit, still had bright blue eyeshadow on !!!
Old 17-01-2008, 07:22 AM

Hey Pauline, Glad you're doing really well. How long ago was it that you saw Rilda and at what station? I always wondered what happened to her and her brother.

I think you're right, a lot of kids went to mum's nursery.... I wonder if it's still operating? Mum always used to say that the 2 kids at home were worse then the 120 she had on the books.. Haha!

I remember Anna Maria Murphy.... I think, but don't recall Claudia. Claudia is coming to our Brissie reunion this Sat night, so maybe my memory will be jogged then.

Anyway, it was great to hear from you! ....... JV!
Old 13-10-2009, 06:29 PM

samliang is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

It's Sam Liang from LIHS 1981. I'm on www.facebook.com/samliang if you want to contact me.