Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Career and Jobs in Papua New Guinea > Looking for A Job

Looking for A Job If you are looking for a job, you may post your details here.

Old 24-09-2002, 11:17 AM

rodbrewer is on a distinguished road
Seeking Transport Land/Sea/Air position

RODNEY CHARLES BREWER

A successful, achievement - oriented, pro-active team manager with excellent
Interpersonal skills. Extensive experience in service-related industries that has
Lead to exceptional quality service and customer satisfaction. Demonstrated
Ability to meet deadlines and control costs, thus achieving efficient management
And increased bottom-line results.

PERSONAL DETAILS

Name: Rodney Charles Brewer

Address: 4 / 40 Nepean Highway, Aspendale. Victoria. 3195.

PHONE: 03 95803326

MOBILE: 0409803326 E-mail: rbrewer@hotmail.com

Marital Status: Married.

Health: Excellent

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Current - Victorian Art Centre Visitor Services Officer
1998-1999 Das Distribution Business Development Manager
1996-1998 Hi-Trans Express Victorian Sales Manager
1973-1996 TNT Ltd Head Office. Development Manager
TNT- International International Trade Development Manager
TNT - Road Express Divisional Manager
TNT - Bulkships Marketing / Trade Manager
TNT - Montan Chartering / Agency Manager
TNT - Rudders Customs Law /Forwarding Sales Manager
TNT Intercontinental Victorian Sales Manager
TNT - Seafast Victorian Manager

EDUCATION

Secondary School

1969 Year 12 Portland High School

FURTHER EDUCATION

1985 Diploma Shipping & Transport
1989 Diploma Business Studies
1990 Diploma Social Studies

DEMONSTRATED ABILITIES

Skill Profile

Management, Confident, Logical Sea /Air / Land, Export, Import, Sales
Self-Motivated Results orientated, Problem solving
Creditability, Integrity Teamwork, Customer service, Reporting
Disciplined Project Development, Setting priorities
Efficient, Decisive Delegating, Leadership
Presentation skills, Communication Forecasting, Staff training
Resourceful, Fair, Dedicated Negotiation, Mediating
Business Development New Trades, Acquisition

Leadership Attributes

Motivated and capable of motivating others, setting developmental climate.
Articulate, clear and direct communicator, and prepared to listen.
Consultative, open to encouraging dialogue, innovation and creating learning
Opportunities.
Approachable, open minded, accessible, composed, straightforward
A good team player and good at team building
A strong sense of direction, at ease with corporate priorities, and "big picture "
Imperatives
Good contacts, knowledge, networks and empathy with the business.
Business Achievements:

1973 -Commencing and completing as a TNT- Trainee Manager over a 3 year period covering

Basic accounting practise Establishment of sale budgets
Weekly and monthly Sale Analysis Office administration procedures
Interviewing / hiring office staff Establishment of yearly budgets
Branch office reporting procedures Monitor / action staff requirements
Profit & Loss statement / Analysis Business correspondence
Customer service procedures Re-act to Customer requirements
Logistical reasoning statistical reporting

1977 - 1982 - TNT - BULKSHIPS
Appointment to Marketing / Sales Manager - Victoria (Container / Bulk Shipping)

During this appointment I was responsible the continuing development of container trade and Chartering arrangements for bulk vessels on longterm and voyage charters to BHP, CRA and other Corporate customers.
By nature of the position I was required to be informed of Marine / Customs law, therefore undertook to study and successfully sit for the Diploma of Shipping and Transport.
Within the 3 years I gained valuable experience in International trade covering areas such as legal documentation, Freight calculations, method of freight payments, logistics of the overall container / NVOCC trades, detail to contract requirements, customer expectations.
Due to changes within Bulkships and in line with my development I was then moved to:
Other Achievements.

- Represented Company at Port of Melbourne on maritime environmental.
- Selling of 50% of Seaway Shipping Terminal

- Operational problems surrounding the discharging of vessels in Melbourne and cargo damage to many thousands of dollars. On completion of cargo surveys and negotiations with Port Authorizes and Stevedores. Method of discharging was changed along with more suitable discharging berths, this resulting in good out-turn of cargoes and damage deleted by 70%.

- Preparation of re-employment of 5 Container vessels off Australian coast into service within South East Asia. This involved negotiated strategies over 2 years with the Maritime Unions and Government, to which we had to submit business plans and commitment that proved Australian interstate trade would not be disadvantaged Vessels were moved and expansion of road and rail investments were introduced immediately, which had far reaching and successful effects to Australian land Transportation..

-
-

1983 - 1985 - TNT - MONTAN

Sales Manager - Ship Brokers / Charterers Agents

My main responsibility was the securing of bulk and project cargoes from exporters / Importers and placement of the freight with oversea Shipowner, to which we would receive, set commissions.
Achievements

- Of many contracts secured the main contract was the 5 million-dollar ship management contract of chartered vessels on behalf of Hamersley Iron.

- Appointed to Business Executive Committee for acquisition of Union Steamship of New Zealand. This involved $110 million and placement of 180 staff and 9 Ships into World service.\
-
- Contract negotiations direct with Corporate Clients covering renewal or amendment to existing contract arrangements, (Coca - Cola, Goodman Fielder, BHP, Simplot.)

This position allowed me to have and develop corporate contacts, which proved to be very valuable to me, and still continues.

1985 - 1989 - TNT- RUDDERS - Customs Brokers / Freight Forwarders

Sales Manager

At the time this particular division was unprofitable my brief as Sales Manager was to make the necessary adjustments and return it to profitability.
Over a period, current contracts were honoured, but then renegotiated to ensure more profitable returns. On completion of an approved business strategic plan, a number of staff was transferred. A new sales team with a new direction was appointed.
Within 12 months TNT- Rudders returned too regular profit and staff increased.
Other Achievements
- In respect to my sales effort I obtained on average 150 / 160 new clients per year with a return of total yearly revenue figure of 3 million dollars.

- As Business Development Manager for Rudders and Intercontinental Cargo / Courier Divisions I successfully managed sale representatives and achieved results 25% over budget for consecutive periods.
- As Divisional manager for the 2nd largest Customs Agent in Australia, was advised of a computer issue with Australian Customs surrounding the classification of import goods into Australia. After investigation called and arranged a series of meeting with Importers /Customs Agent Council and Australian Customs. Presented findings and a new National computer package called "Retrieval" were introduced. This saved Importers huge monies in waste time, storage and getting product to market.
-
- Appointment to committee to implement guides lines for Equal Employment Opportunity and Occupational Health and Safety.

During this appointment I obtained my Diploma of Business / Marketing studies

1989 - 1990 - TNT- Seafast - Freight Forwarding / Sea /Air Transport

At Management's instruction undertook the position of Divisional Manager to start and develop a new division namely TNT - SEAFAST International.

On completion of a business development plan, I used TNT's overseas connections and appointed forwarding agents. Then using my own connections and the group's national client base I established an immediate clientele, thus also creating cash flow in order to appoint sales and administration staff, whom I obtained from other divisions, thus having the company knowledge / training for maximum result.
Within 18 months the Seafast was established and profitable. A new Divisional Manager was appointed from within.
Other Achievements

My large account obtained was the Kraft Foods export account, revenue wise approxmently around 3 million dollars to the TNT Group.

- Implementation of Air courier division and Road divisions to secure ESSO Gippsland offshore contract for 5 years ($6.5 million
-
- Appointed to executive committee to review internal administration costs. End result merger of 5 divisions with cost savings of 3 million dollars in first 2 years.
- As Divisional Manager for 2 divisions over 3 years without change in any sales staff achieved 70% and 85% over budget results respectively.

1991 - 1996 TNT - INTERNATIONAL - Overseas projects

Development Manager

This particular department was set-up by TNT head office as a confidential business unit to investigate new international opportunities by way of mergers or acquisition. As Development Manager my first task was to investigate and prepare a feasibility paper within 3 months for the setting up of freight forwarding operations in Japan. The paper was completed within the time limitation, with the conclusion it would be feasible under a merger arrangement of mutual benefit with the share opinions at a later stage.

On acceptance by management it was decided it would require myself to transfer to Japan to represent our interests and implement planned strategy but with flexibility as required at the time
Over a period of 18 months the Company not only became well established in freight forwarding, but in other areas of domestic transportation, distribution and courier services.
Achievements

During my period I was able to establish an excellent network of corporate contacts, and apart from other successful contracts enabled me to secure a massive contract with the Japanese Government in conjunction with Nisso Iwai, Mitsui, Mitsubishi and Kobe Steel. The project under a scheme named the Sunshine consortium, called for an investment of $700 million to establish a pilot plant in the Latrobe Valley (Morwell) Victoria, in order to obtain technology of changing coal to oil, all construction material was to be supplied ex Japan.
After extended negotiations I obtained on by half of TNT the Transport logistic contract for all matters covering movements to Australia. The project covered all fascist of Land / Sea / Air Transportation.
Due to the size of the transportation content (32 million dollars) and effort required to successfully carry out the logistics I transferred back to Melbourne.
The contract went on successfully for 5 years and returned to the TNT Group around 8.7 net profit.
The project was important to TNT in many other ways in that brought all divisions together, each giving new expertise in their own area, it also in the eyes of international logistics gave apart from myself TNT very valuable and experience.

I received from the TNT Board their approval of a job well done.

Other Achievements

- As Divisional Manager for 2 divisions over 3 years without change in any sales staff achieved 70% and 85% over budget results respectively.

- Four members of Administration promoted to senior positions.
- Acquisition of ABC Shipping Agencies

- Successful in establishment of the 3 year business plan covering international expansion of freight forwarding operations in 10 Countries and involving 12 new offices. Projected budgets were exceeded by 11% after 2.5 years and 8 additional offices were consequently opened

1996 - 1998 HI - Trans Express (National Road General / Express Carrier)

I was appointed as the first Victorian Sales Manager, the Company at this point had very little exposure in Melbourne and operated an adhoc road service in order to fulfil interstate client requirements, revenue was around $100,000 per month.
My responsibility was to immediately increase cash flow by way of reviewing current contracts, secure corporate clientele, company image and appropriate staffing.
Within six months of dramatic change revenue was more then doubled, whilst increasing the general freight volume, I was successfully in securing high paying Express freight.

On achieving a required level in all areas, Hi - Trans management gave the go ahead to take the next step and move into a bigger terminal. The location for the terminal was researched by myself and was accepted. It was the blue print for the success of Hi - Trans Express in Victoria
In 18 months of joining, the Company went from sending three semis a day ex Melbourne to 17 semis per day to interstate destinations. Revenue when to $600,00 + per month.

Achievements

- The largest single contract, which I obtained during this time, was Woolworths, with a revenue figure of around $800,000 and ACI $400,000 per year.

- The securing of express freight from accounts such as Emery Worldwide, Baxglobal and AEI with freight revenue of $325,000 per month.

Hi-Trans express was a good employer and unfortunately a bad error of judgement was made by me to leave and join Das Distribution

1998 - 2000

DAS Distribution Storage and distribution services

Appointed as Business Development Manager to secure storage and distribution services.
Das Distribution was formerly the Federal Department of Administration Services and was sold by the Government to the Ausdoc Group.
On joining the Company I was very disappointed with the state and age of buildings and outdated equipment. Taking into account competitors state of the art facilities, and whilst some business was secured, I found it extremely difficult to sell or even to find alterative ideas to promote the services.
As stated it was an error in judgement on my behalf in joining this company.

2000 -2000

Undertook an 8-month Export Consultancy contract with Mitsui Trading pertaining to the export of coal. My main responsibility was the negotiation of Freight rates, Documentation, Vessel scheduling, Weekly financial reporting and final business strategy. Contract exceeded expectations and Mitsui at the end of the contact took over the contact internally.

2001 - Current

Victorian Art Centre - Customer Services

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals