Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 PM

lauwtsl is on a distinguished road
Salamoa and Igam

Hi Peter,

They are great pictures - I remember that waterfall and the swim from the ferry to the beach! I remember opening my eyes as I swam and was so scared at what I saw (only seaweed) that I swam this massive crooked line to the beach.

The walk along the track to the waterfall and how cold that water really was...another great memory.

Great stuff.

Regards
San
Old 25-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Meg Cole is on a distinguished road
Hello to ex-Igam & Lae High People,

I have just discovered this site relating to Igam, where I lived from 71-74. My name is Meg Cole and I have been in touch with Libby Waters (Jack) in recent years and have seen a few names here that I remember. The site seems to have come to a stop. Is anyone still out there? My brothers Michael, Roger and I lived at Igam and we all went to Lae High before going back to boarding school in 74.

I hope people are still around.

Meg
Old 25-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Hi Meg
Must be an Anzac Day thing (having time to be online when normally work is all consuming).
I usually start all my posts with...you probably don't remember me - many remember my little brother Giok for some of his childhood deeds.
I remember your family - your father was a Colonel which meant the bus to Lae High first arrived at your houses in your area first.
Great memories of that bus ride.
Any non embarrassing photos always welcome.
San Lauw
Old 25-04-2012, 02:48 PM

And More

http://www.nashospng.com/photo-galle...photo-gallery/

Funnily enough found this link today
Old 25-04-2012, 02:58 PM

"Our House"

the Lauw's house at Igam...complete with washing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House0036.JPG (184.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 27-04-2012, 05:12 PM

Meg Cole is on a distinguished road
Hello

Hi San,

It sounds as though your little brother was a wild one! My older brother, the middle one, Roger, was always getting into trouble with Stuart Waters, Libby's older brother. They used to head into the jungle with machetes and on one occasion my brother nearly sliced Stuart's hand off (or something crazy like that).

I remember the bus ride into Lae High and worrying when my brothers would get off and wag school (they used to make the driver stop and they would get off and go banana rafting down the river for the day and then make the driver stop and pick them up on the way home!) I would just worry the whole day, since I was only in Form 1 and very innocent!

It was a great place to be a kid, but it is sad to think it has gone to ruin at Igam.

I have a few photos that I will hunt out and scan and try to upload.

I hope others are still around.

Best wishes,

Meg
Old 27-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Hello

Hi Meg
That would be great - I will try and find some more pictures although it's not like today with digital cameras, Iphones etc. Very rare were photos in the Lauw family at the time. I suppose we just lived our lives whereas today it's all social media (this forum does not really count).

I remember your brothers - pretty sure Roger was in my form. We were at Igam 1968-1972 (Christmas). And I was in Form 2 in 1972. Sadly I remember only a few teachers, Mr Tye the music teacher at Lae High, Mrs Grant the English teacher, oh and Mr Flute the headmaster - and why Mr Flute - I managed one caning in my whole life and that was at Lae High for being an accessory after the fact so to speak - from Mr Flute.

I think my brother Liong was in Michael's class although memory is hazy. My little brother Giok has now spent around 30 years in the Army - so Igam certainly influenced him in a positive way despite his escapades.

I also remember Stuart Waters and again pretty sure he was in my year. Don't really remember his little sister although she posted on this thread a little while ago. But I certainly remember Captain Waters as he was my father's boss so to speak at the Q-Store.

I still have great memories of Igam Primary - woodwork with the T class in the jungle up near the water tower.

And to think we had no TV or real radio etc.

And yes having seen a few pictures of Igam as it has become - is a bit sad, but memories can never be changed.

Good to see this link alive and well again.

Regards
San
Old 29-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Leigh O is on a distinguished road
Igam Barracks

Just found this website. I lived at Igam Barracks in the Late sixties. The Ottway clan are all well. Steven lives in France, Simon has his own business in Tas and Paul works for him. Unfortunately Mum passed away earlier this year, but Dad is good. I recognise a lot of the names on the forum. I remember San and Giok. Peter Buckley, the Sullivans, Guy and Sharon Melling.(I think Sharon was my first love, LOL. Happy memories of a simpler life. Looking forward to retiring from the Navy in a couple of years. How time flies.

Last edited by Leigh O; 30-06-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Igam

Hi Leigh
Sorry to hear about your Mum.

Remember your Dad liked a good curry!! Say gidday to your brothers and Dad from the Lauws. Great times and yes time marches on...
Regards
San