Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Travel & Tourism Discussion

Travel & Tourism Discussion You are welcome to post questions, stories or experience travelling in Papua New Guinea.

Old 29-01-2012, 09:30 PM

ernst is on a distinguished road
new ireland

hello everybody,
I am planning a vacation in new ireland next september, and been looking for budget accomodation in kavieng and/or surroundings.
I wonder if anyone has an idea of what the priceranges are. My stay will be up to two months, 100 dollar/day accomodation is therefore out of range.
Have lived in australia (darwin) for a couple of years, in SEA for about 11 years and now for 25 years in vienna.
looking forward to anything, that comes along.

greetings

ernst
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 26-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Moxx is on a distinguished road
New Ireland

Hi Ernst,

I live in New Ireland, a beautiful spot! There are a number of great guesthouses here, it just all depends on how much "luxury" you would like. What is your price range for accommodation?
What are you wishing to do whilst in New Ireland?

Cheers,
Ange
Old 28-02-2012, 05:34 AM

Hi Ange,

thanks for your posting.
my activities, while in new ireland, will be rather moderate.
since I am not the youngest anymore, there will be much resting (daydreaming), beach, bicycling around, meeting with locals as things develope. since I have lived already in south east asia (philippines) for quite a few years, simple life is something I do appreciate - no tv, radio, internet etc., no aircon - a "helicopter" will do a better job.
Important for me is only - enough potable water.
actually I am not sure, wether to go to Manus Isld or New Ireland or both.
To put a pricetag on it, is rather difficult, but it should be well under 50.- euro.
hope to hear (read) from You soon again.

Have a nice day.

greetings

ernst
Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 PM

mking is on a distinguished road
Contact the helpful folks at the New Ireland Travel Bureau - and see the recently-updated NITB for info on accommodation, cycles, etc:
http://www.newirelandtourism.org.pg/contact.htm
I was there in Nov 2010 and pretty much had the entire tourist facilities of the island to myself... and will be returning this year with my son to escape the Olympics in the UK. The Kina is strong, but away from Kavieng you'll have no trouble on 50EUR/260K per day. Enjoy. Mark
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 AM

thanks

thanks a lot. this is very helpful information indeed. I am looking forward to stay up to two months in new ireland.
Happy easter. ernst
Old 18-07-2012, 05:37 AM

@gates8888: thanks for the reply. I will be coming alone, and you are right, I prefer the village peace more. past a certain age peace is rather more important.

@mdavic: Thanks for your info. In time I seem to be getting all the information needed for a good vacation.
Old 22-07-2012, 07:24 AM

thanks a lot to all of you.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 PM

mking is on a distinguished road
Itinerary

I visited New Ireland again during the Olympics with my son. We were able to connect through to Kavieng without an overnight in POM, and the ticket using Air Niugini's London agent was about half what travel agents could get, and not a combination available from the website. You need somewhere booked the first night to get a visa (cheaper than visa on arrival and may save time), and visas are now only given 2 months before, not 6. Once in New Ireland just go with the flow. Booking rarely get through (e.g. because phones are lost) but then as the only guest things can work around what you want, weather permitting.
Old 27-08-2014, 05:55 PM

valber is on a distinguished road
I am planning to go new Ireland. I have no idea about this country and don't know its attractions. Someone would like to share about the inland destinations and Mountain destinations of Ireland. I am looking for suggestions.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 PM

Marquis is on a distinguished road
Valber! New Ireland is very nice country to visit. I have visited this region couple month ago. I want to share some attractive and historic place of New Ireland. I hope so this information will be useful for you.
Boyne Valley
Ring of Kerry
The Cliffs of Moher
Giantís Causeway
These are most visited place. I recommend you donít miss to see these places during tour.