Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 27-01-2011, 04:28 AM

clenehan is on a distinguished road
Hotel Cecil

Good evening Ian

Hope you are well. Lived in Laei circa 1970 and would be most grateful if you could send the pics

Many thanks

Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel Cecil View Post
Very sad to hear that the old place has gone. I have many photos of the old buildings and pool, with me and my sister swimming in it. I can remember the frangepany ? trees in the beer garden and when I smell them today I am transported back to Lae and being the lik lik master hehe. If anyone would like to see the pics let me know and I will arrange a photobucket site with the pics on same . Cheers Ian.
t
Old 19-03-2011, 01:25 AM

DAVNGLO is on a distinguished road
I happened to stumble on this web site and I am very interested although it looks like it has been a few years since used.. I moved to Lae in approx 1965 (age 14) and lived with my parents at the Hotel Cecil. Toby Perkins was the manager who later died from cancer. I got my first job at BP as a counter jumper in the menswear. Later in the electricial. Mrs Gill (can't remember her first name) was my boss as she was the buyer for the electricial dept. Her son had a tragety car accident and died while I was there. There are a lot of names that I have forgotten, but will certainly put my mind to them now. I would be very interested if hearing from anybody living in Lae at this time. Due to my age, most of the kids were in boarding school in Australia, while I was lucky enough to be given the chance to work. Someone may remember a skinny kid on a bike around this time. David Hancock davnglo@bigpond.com
Old 19-03-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Very sad to hear that the old place has gone. I have many photos of the old buildings and pool, with me and my sister swimming in it. I can remember the frangepany ? trees in the beer garden and when I smell them today I am transported back to Lae and being the lik lik master hehe. If anyone would like to see the pics let me know and I will arrange a photobucket site with the pics on same . Cheers Ian.
t
Good afternoon Ian. It would be great to see the pics of the Hotel Cecil. I think I was there from '71-'74. Cheers Christopher Lenehan
Old 19-03-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyemc View Post
Thanks Tony, I know Brian would be very glad to hear from him.

Cheers, Wendy
Good afternoon Wendy. Hope you are well. Do you have the Lae phone book for the '70's by any chance. Best regards Christopher Lenehan
Old 19-03-2011, 12:27 PM

DAVNGLO is on a distinguished road
Pics of the Cecil

Hi Ian, as a former resident of the Hotel Cecil, I would like to see the photos you have. My family would also be interested in seeing my old stomping ground.. The place never leaves you. Ta David

Quote:
t
Old 28-03-2012, 04:20 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
Mardis Gras, Sue Becker

Way back in this thread the mardis gras was mentioned. It was in early '65,
not too long after Xmas. As my mother remembers it, a flu swept the town a few days before, and a lot of entrants didn't make it.

Hotel Cecil went from 1951 to about 1990. It was the second one built by Flo Stewart, although she sold it after just a few years. The original primary school was on the site '48 to 51. It moved to the current Coro site in mid '51.

I remember Sue Becker from TAA charter trip to Finschhafen in mid 65. Talk about a megaphone voice. She split from here husband, and moved to Syd. She did a fitness video for the Beeb, filmed under the Hbr Bridge. She had a long carrer with ABC radio in Melb. and Hobart. Died about 2008.

# "Nostalgia is the greatest antiseptic of all time, but then again,
our history makes us what we are" .... Dennis Potter talking
about "Blue Hills Remembered".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suebecker.jpg (24.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 24-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Jan MacGowan is on a distinguished road
I know I am years late with this information, but have only just stumbled on this forum.
My now husband Jock and I lived in a flat in Magnolia St (shown on map as Mangola) opposite the Red Rose restaurant. Jock was with the Australian Army 183 RECCE Flt which supported No 2 PIR at Igam Barracks and I worked for the Commonwealth Bank. Christine Auld was the Manager's secretary when I was there, and I think she would have been there at the same time as Wendy Phillips.
Jock and I worked nights at the Steakhouse in Magnolia St then owned by Ron and Margaret (?).
Old 27-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Vee Street is on a distinguished road
Has anyone been back lately.

I often think about going for a visit, I left in 1983- having lived there for only 3 years.