Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Ken Jones is on a distinguished road
Ken Jones

Hi Guys

I have just found this site, and the memories have come flooding back, I had two stints in Moresby, the fist as as young kid, living at Boroko, just up from the footy ground, Lahara Ave, I think it was, but not 100% sure , it was along time ago, I was there from 1958 to 1964, lived next door to the Stevens family, Billy, Anne,Joy,Jimmy,Tex, and Beth, went to Coronation School, till I finished promary school in 1964, then returned to Sydney, to attend high school, then returned to Moresby in 1969, till 1972, done various jobs there, with, Papua Hotel, Ansett Airlines of PNG, Correctional Instistution , stationed at Rabaul, Mt Hagen and Madang.
My father George Jones, was the manager of BP's Boroko for many years, as well as Prresident of the Boroko RSL for a number of years as well. Anyway, just a quick introduction, I would love to hear from any old Coronation School students, from my era, or even after that, please feel feel to email me at......www.kjones1953@bigpond.com.

Kind regards......Ken Jones
Old 21-11-2011, 10:13 PM

likliklakatoi is on a distinguished road
Moresby of old.

I was six in 68, so I went to Murray Backs primary. I remember listening intently to a small radio in the class room, as Neil took that first step on to the moon. The Chinese stores had lava lamps and apollo moon module models in the windows, that was cool. We did the drive in, cold chicken and Mateus rose
or cianti on the bonnet of the toyota crown. Remember the big brass band at Ela beach, the Macdui, snorkelling at Idlers bay. Dad was at the water transport squadron near the yacht club, each 12 weeks, a party would go out on the landing craft, to fishermans or local island, I would sit atop the barge door and watch flying fish skip over the glassy harbour. the thought of a Dawn service at Bomana on anzac day still moves me. Sageri waterfall and the rubber plantation, ...em nou lookim you.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:00 PM

jaquin is on a distinguished road
Hi there, I was born/lived in Moresby and left Ela Beach p.s. in 1973 in the middle of year when my father retired and I finished my schooling in England. We lived in Mary St straight above Ela Beach p.s. and can remember Miss Keating/Mr Hard etc. I also remember a Liz Lynch who went to St Josephs and used to catch up with her & her dad at the Kone Club every Friday night after the movies at the bottom of Mary St. I'm trying to locate a photo of my class from grade 5 where we had Mrs Webb as our teacher.

Last edited by jaquin; 29-11-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: photo
Old 21-12-2011, 12:05 PM

maxienz is on a distinguished road
lived in Moresby from 67 to 73

hi
i have just found this forum and after reading through it, i think i must know some of you, i was 7 to 13 years old while in Moresby from 67 to 73.

wow it seems like yesterday so many memories of a life long ago i remember my dog mitzi my best mates Clayton and Danny my stingray bike, my crazy father Hank and all his crazy expat mates.

max
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM

margaretdb is on a distinguished road
facebook

There is a Facebook page called "I used to live in PNG" if anyone is interested.Lots of great stories on there
Old 17-10-2012, 10:19 AM

maxienz is on a distinguished road
Hi margaretdb

your memories of PM are just so clear i am a litte fuzzy with my own but when i read your comments it made me feel like i was there again, i wonder if you can recall Max Vanderharst i too went to Gordon school i remember the maroon uniforms.

Your comments about the drive in the building of the picture theater and going to watch movies is same as my own, i learn't to drive on the old air strip which was across the road from the drive in.

i have so many old photo's of our time in PM it give me much pleasure to just sit and look at them and remember old times, we were very lucky to have had the experience we all shared, PM back then for me was a magic time i would do it all over again in a flash.

my worst memory of PM was leaving my Dog Mitzi behind with friends i cried for days after leaving PM we left in a real hurry i hated my father for leaving her behind she was my dog and best friend for the entire time i lived in PM.

Regards
Max
Old 24-10-2012, 02:36 PM

JosephineGrieve is on a distinguished road
Port Moresby High 1972

Hi MEG - are you still there? i was in year 1 with you - am doing some research on that time - would love to chat. do you remember shaylene? susan smales, carol, willi?
HI EVERYONE - does any one have photos of port moresby high...drive in, Port Moresby Yacht Club...
does anyone remember the tamarind tree at ela beach?
does anyone remember what they ate at the drive in? and going down to the front of the drive in?
will look for your reply
cheers,
Jo
Old 27-10-2012, 09:57 PM

meg is on a distinguished road
Red face Moresby High 1972

Quote:
Port Moresby High 1972
Hi MEG - are you still there? i was in year 1 with you - am doing some research on that time - would love to chat. do you remember shaylene? susan smales, carol, willi?
Hey Jo, yep still here. oh this is awful - i know your name but having huge trouble with your face. and yes,i remember all those names and a few more. do you remember Di Auchettl?, still in touch with her and just recently made contact with a couple of ppl from primary school. but there was also jenny and another diane from i think murray - agh, brain is old now. Are you on facebook? there are a couple of great pages and lots of ppl i bet you know. email me if you like on meg@samford.net feeling *shame* perhaps you can refresh my memory, coz i know i should know your face
Megan
Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Andrew Rice is on a distinguished road
We were in PM 64-69. I was at Gordon primary in 67 and 69, I think. Bit fuzzy around the edges with the memory. I went to the kindergarten at ella beach Still remember the fence being that steel plate they made runways out of, and it over-looked the sea. Got into trouble one day for getting up from lunch to watch a sea plane take off. That was 64. We went back to Sydney for 9 months, Then came back to PM. Started at Murray Barracks, then Coronation. The following year was Gordon, then Cleeland, then Gordon. My mum had a hair dressing salon at the front of the squash courts, over the road from Murray Barracks, and just around the corner from the new olympic pool.

Last edited by Andrew Rice; 04-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 14-11-2012, 01:36 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
> kindergarten at ella beach Still remember the fence being
> that steel plate they made runways out of,

I remember the Ela preshool, and I went to the one at Kone, next to the
scouts. Both built in '58, and also the one in Lae, which is still there.
Marsden (officially Marsten) matting was removed from the Kila airstrip
in 1945. You could get it at the CDW compound on Lawes road. 32C at
Jacksons was ripped up in late '72, so a lot more matting became available.

> getting up from lunch to watch a sea plane take off. That was 64.

That was TAA flight MD85 returing from Lake Murray/Daru, and landed at
11.40am in the harbour, every second Thurdsay. All takeoffs were 8am,
or earlier. Kone preschool had a great view of it landing, and then
taxiing back to the marine base in a huge cloud of spray. That was VH-WWC,
which crashed in 26/Apr/1962. The one you saw was VH-SBV (62-66). There's a
photo of it landing at Kone. My old house is the one directly above
the nearest blister.
http://www.aussieairliners.org/catal...sbv/vhsbv.html
http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac...et/VH-SBV.html

> My mum had a hair dressing salon at the front of the squash courts,
> over the road from Murray Barracks, and just around the corner from
> the new olympic pool.

There was a petrol station near the corner and Duncan had his Burger Nuttin
van in the driveway. I used to catch the bus from town to the Donald Clealand Pool;
4c for the bus and 10c for the pool. Feet had to be dipped in Kondies crystals,
and the pool was so laced with chlorine that my hair was bright green after half an hour.

Rowan Hughes

Last edited by rowanh; 14-11-2012 at 02:00 PM.