Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise > War History

War History World War II in Papua New Guinea. Australian and Japanese soldier who fought the battle, died and buried in Bomana (Port Moresby), Lae cemetary, Wewak, Relics and Wreckages.

Old 25-04-2010, 12:14 AM

coastaltribe is on a distinguished road
Photo request

Hi all, my name is Laurie and I finally found the resting place of my mother-in-laws uncle. My mother-in-law could never find out where he was laid to enternal rest, all she knew was that he was killed on the kokoda track. My daughter wears his medals in the Anzac Day March and I would like to give my mother-in-law a photo of his headstone as she will not be able to travel for much longer due to age.

FIELD, Private, GEOFFREY HARRY BARRETT, WX17400. A.LF. 2/16 Bn. Australian Infantry. 9th December 1942. Age 18. Son of Eric Alfred and Elsie Lilian Ethel Field, of East Perth, Western Australia. B6. F. 6.

Many thanks to any who can email me a photo of the headstone.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Hi, following your post I drove out to Bomana War Cemetery today and took a photograph which I will now post here for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1477 [640x480].JPG (101.0 KB, 30 views)
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 23-04-2011, 09:01 PM

stormin85 is on a distinguished road
Help in Getting a Picture of Headstone

Having stumbled across this site by sheer luck than anything, I have a favor to ask of anyone in the Port Moresby Area. I am at this moment visiting an old friend, and the conversation turned to his father, he then produced the last letter that was sent by his father from Malaysia in 1942, (my friend was at that time 1 year old) he then remembered his older brother and sister telling him that their dad had died on a ship that was torpedoed, his sister also visited what she thought was the only reminder of him to this day, ie in the book of remembrance in singapore.still believing him to have died at sea. On listening to my friends story and reading his fathers last letter, which was still legible after all these years. I decided to look for further information. I found out on the internet that his father was one of the 600 or rather 583 men that were taken to Ballali Island to forcibly build a runway for the japanese, and were subsequently massacred and buried in a mass grave after the Japanese guards were told to eradicate all prisoners of war on Ballali Island on hearing the Allies were closing in on them, the Japanese then informed the Britsh that the prisoners were on a ship that was torpedoed and there was no survivers, in order to cover up the atrocity.

my Friend and family would be eternally grateful if they could finally have a picture of his headstone, they are all in their 70s and 80s and cannot travel long distances so visiting would be out of the question.

Yours Sincerely

Norman Parkinson

Conway, William Thomas,Gunner,1629575,British Royal Artillery,14 Bty., 5 Searchlight Regiment,Age 32,1943/03/05,Ballali Island, Loved Ones Son of John Aloysious and Amy Conway; husband of Janet Conway, of Miles Platting, Manchester, United Kingdom.

Left Changi 1942/10/18, commandeered by Lt-Col. J. Bassett, R.A., 35 L.A.A.. Dying with 516 other gunners, was laid to rest at 12 mile north of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
Old 25-04-2011, 07:23 PM

lisab is on a distinguished road
I also just stumbled over this website today while searching for a family members place of burial. I too would love a pic of his headstone, would love to visit there myself but doubt that would ever happen. I only just today found out he was buried at bomana war cemetery. His name is L J B Reynolds 47th battalion, died 17th jan 1945, 21 years old,
If anyone could help it would be great
thanks,
Lisa
Old 16-11-2013, 06:44 PM

Robin Sanderson is on a distinguished road
Captain Alexander Gwyeth Sanderson

I would like to get a photograph of the grave of my father's cousin Captain Sanderson above who was killed at Eora Creek and is buried at Borama. Can anyone advise how I can do this?
thank you
Robin Sanderson in Paris