Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 23-05-2013, 02:36 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Dunjey View Post
P.S. my recollection is that the boys used to go up on that ledge near our old pool looking for old bullets from WW2
Linda,
I was in Madang for 6 months in 71, and the second half of 72. DCA was moving a lot of people south then, so my father did a lot of temp jobs in PM and Lae, while he was based in Madang.

I also collected 303 rounds at the rock pool, but they were unlikely to have been there since WW2. Brass cases only last about 1 to 3 years immersed in seawater, before rotting through. Those cases were in the water, but only a few had holes in them. The Cordite still burned OK. Some one had tossed a case full of rounds into the rock pool in circa 1969. They may have been duds from an Indian factory, or stolen and dumped.

There was also a WLA model Harley Davidson dumped in a rock pool near the golf club. Again, probably dumped there in the 50s or early 60s. Surplus WLAs were very common after the war.

Regarding any mini tsunami (well before the 70 earthquake) I need an exact date, say from a newspaper article.
Old 31-05-2014, 12:11 AM

Boroko is on a distinguished road
Dunjey's cool house

You had the best house in town with the rock pools nearby and the cupboard you walked into to access a trapdoor to the downstairs room. Stephen was a real nice kid, a good friend and all round generous person.Standing with him while he packed for the move down south was a very sad experience. I'm glad to hear you guys are well and happy.
Old 31-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Boroko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve beitzel View Post
Hi rowanh, jem's brother Steve here, two of my friends were swimming at the rocky cove at Dungies house out past the hospital and were washed up onto the rocks and badly lacerated by what was described then as a "freak" wave, no warning and much bigger than anything usual. It would have been around 1969 as it was not long after we arrived in Madang.
Yes Steve a blonde kid named John (I think) really copped it then. Your place was a default after school destination with something interesting always going on, Playing cricket with Robyn Mitchell and her dad (house behind yours) was always a favourite. Catching Janice Pimblett in the kiss chasies at one of your parties was a highlight , although I can't remember anyone actually kissing anyone-the thrill of the chase was the motivation. I was sleeping over at Feretti's place when the earthquake struck. Do you remember everyone standing out on the street in the dark in case the houses fell down afterwards? I'd like to track Feretti Jones down if anyone knows where he is. I contacted John Maksimus to apologise for being every teachers nightmare and recieved a really pleasant reply- so I don't feel so guilty anymore-even after over 40 years.Others I have been in touch with over the years are Mr Gurry, Wolfgang Stokl, Corinne O'Reily, Christine Xaviour, Michele Edwards and Lindsay Rooke's brother, Clinton, who is still in Madang. We seem to have spread all over the globe.
Old 23-11-2014, 06:22 PM

AussieG is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up So many familar names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boroko View Post
Yes Steve a blonde kid named John (I think) really copped it then. Your place was a default after school destination with something interesting always going on, Playing cricket with Robyn Mitchell and her dad (house behind yours) was always a favourite. Catching Janice Pimblett in the kiss chasies at one of your parties was a highlight , although I can't remember anyone actually kissing anyone-the thrill of the chase was the motivation. I was sleeping over at Feretti's place when the earthquake struck. Do you remember everyone standing out on the street in the dark in case the houses fell down afterwards? I'd like to track Feretti Jones down if anyone knows where he is. I contacted John Maksimus to apologise for being every teachers nightmare and recieved a really pleasant reply- so I don't feel so guilty anymore-even after over 40 years.Others I have been in touch with over the years are Mr Gurry, Wolfgang Stokl, Corinne O'Reily, Christine Xaviour, Michele Edwards and Lindsay Rooke's brother, Clinton, who is still in Madang. We seem to have spread all over the globe.
This is Glenda. I lived down the Street from Fereti Jones and the Beitzels (who had the best comic book collection) and was friens with Christine. Was in the same grade as Janice Pimblett, Sini Immonen, Julie Albert, Scott Kingsley, Wolfgang Stoeckel, Mary Chung, Helen Lam, Tamara Fruitnik,, Michele Edwards (father was a pastor), Tony Pfarr and very many more.

Who remembers all of the teachers (good and bad) that we had?

My brother Michael - was a lot older and hung out more with the Tewsons - who are still up there.
Old 23-11-2014, 06:27 PM

AussieG is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem41 View Post
Hi Rowan, I lived in Madang in 1969 and 1970. Jeremy Scriven and Leonie Fyffe were in my class... I think Gr 4. My best friend was Nicole Campbell. I also knew Feretie Jones, Danny Walker and I will have to dig up some old photos etc to remember others. I have a brother Stephen who is a year older than me and sister Christine, 2 yrs older and younger sister Lynette. My dad was Frank Beitzel, and he operated the radio communications on the main street of Madang. We lived over near Coastwatchers memorial, can't remember the street name.
I believe the mini tsunami you refer to followed the 7.3 earthquake that hit Madang Oct 31/Nov 1 1970. it sent a small tsunami out that tore up the communications cables that lay on the sea floor between PNG & Australia. I remember my dad was in a real flap about it at the time. It was a pretty scary event... the Japan earthquake bringing back vivid memories.
This is Glenda - I lived next to Nicole Campbell and played with her on a regular basis. Remember your sister Christine - my brother was pranking around one night and just about gave her a heart attack: he felt terrible about it.

You lived next door to Fereti Jones on Kalibobo Drive. It was a fun time.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 AM

LizM is on a distinguished road
Hi Rowan hope you get this after so long. There was a huge earthquake in madang around then. Major damage throughout the town. My parents ( Martin and Joy Munro) were there at the time. I left in November 69 and it happened after then. BTW dad was headmaster of the A school the transferred to the T school.
lizM
Old 06-12-2014, 01:56 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
LizM>> November 1969

Before my time. Peter Gurry was HM when I was there.

You talk of the '70 earthquake, which is well documented. There was a large wave that hit many years before then, but no earthquake nor flooding. It was during daylight, so there were observations at the water front. I need to know the date exactly. The Aug 72 final collapse of Ritter Is caused a small Tsunami in the Bismark/Solomon Sea areas. Wrecked the Rabaul Travelodge. The 1884 collapse was the main event. Documented by Parkinson, and others at Finschhafen. Killed 3000 villagers, and left west New Britain stripped of vegetation up to the 12m ASL mark.

I need to go back to the observations of German scientists, pre-1914, to get reliable observations of the geophysics of PNG. So much for Australia punching above its weight in science.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:36 AM

Mrs brownbomber is on a distinguished road
passing

To all friends and family members,
Hi my name is Karen Schwartz I am the wife of the late Douglas Thomas Schwartz, most of you would know him on here as brown bomber, and from back in Madang in the 60's and 70's, just wanted to let you all know that douglas passed away last year on the 13th of July 2015, from a fatal heart attack at work, he was buried next his mum here in Townsville QLD, on the 31st of July 2015,douglas and I were together for many years and almost married for 3 years, we have 3 beautiful girls, he was a loving, caring, honest, loyal, hard working devoted father and husband, my children and I miss him terribly each and every day, we go down to the mut mut with his big sister barbra everyday and visit him and his mum, i knew how muchmy beloved husband liked visiting this website, he always would call me in to the room and show me people he knew and tell me bout the days back in png, so i know it's a bit late but i struggle everyday without douglas around and still tear up when i talk about him , i just wanted to let you all know about his passing,

many thanks
karen
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 PM

Jim Tyler is on a distinguished road
Reply to Karen

Hi Karen, was Douglas related to Greg Schwartz who was in my Grade 6 class in 1969 and a good friend.i hear that Greg is still in Madang working as a butcher but I have not kept in touch with him. My last visit to Madang was in 2010 and it is still beautiful. Regards, Jim Tyler
Old 03-12-2017, 06:32 PM

Mrs brownbomber is on a distinguished road
Greg is his cousin and as far as i know he still.lives there and owns a grocery store ��