Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 09-03-2005, 02:06 AM

Patriot is on a distinguished road
Yacht Club

Whats this new rumour about people attempting to make the Pom Yacht Club more "exclusive"??? I mean, this is after all the PORT MORESBY YACHT CLUB and not the Monte Carlo Yacht Club so can we please keep it real??
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 01-04-2005, 01:42 AM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
the name is actually "royal papua yacht club". not pom yc
Old 04-04-2005, 03:24 AM

Who cares what the name is? As long as it doesnt become some wannabe exclusive expat-only hang-out because if it does, be expecting Tribal Fight cum World War 3 up in there. Being a regular there, I think a few of my fellow yachtie (Papua New Guinean) regulars can attest to being made to feel unwelcome by the expat patrons (yes, you did read right because I dont like to sugar-coat reality). To all my PNG peeps, do what I do what I do when I go there: wear your tanget with pride and give them all the finger if they stare at you, better yet break it out in some kind of traditional tribal war-cry. LMFAO!
PNG FOREVER!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:24 AM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
how did they make you feel unwelcome?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:47 AM

Its intangible but then again, I wouldnt expect you to know the feeling. Neo-colonialism continues to exist in PNG under many guises. The Yachtie has long been an expat hang out and now that Papua New Guineans are actively becoming members (mind you, last time I checked the Royal Papua Yacht Club was in PNG and therefore belonged to Papua New Guineans as a whole), many of us are automatically made to feel unwelcome. How can one describe a feeling one gets? You have to experience it to know what I mean. Same thing happens when I get on the business class section of Air Niugini. Yes, thats right, every damn expat on the flight turns to stare as if to say, "Now how the hell can this PNG person afford to travel with us?" Bloody hell! Isnt it the national airline of PAPUA NEW GUINEA? I have as much right to travel on business class as anyone else, whether you're white or black.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM

mangitbay is on a distinguished road
Smile

Wantok: Just be who you are and what you are. All you have to do is smile at them and that will put them back in their own place.

Most ppl are ignorant and don't want to know someone or get to know about someone. Time will tell when you next board that PX flight or go to Yacht Club, it will be different. This reactive behaviour will not change towards you overnight, but over time.

If you react in a negative way, you have fallen into a trap and will be the one thrown out of a club or PX flight.

If it still bothers you, get a sit close to them and introduce yourself. Sit and listen to their conversation or pick a general subject matter to start a social conversation with them. Watch their body language. This will be an indication of whether they still view you as you first walked in or that has change. If it has not, thank them for listening and move on.

later..mangitbay

Note: happens in other places as well. However, by reading your comments it seems you have a problem rather then of those around you. How do you see yourself as? Still a struggling student? - Be proud of your achievement!
The beginning of wisdom is fear of the LORD, which is formed with the faithful in the womb. Sirach 1:12- Pro-Life

Last edited by mangitbay; 05-04-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:21 PM

Shofar is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Patriot,
I concur with your sentiments. That exclusivity thing in Port Moresby is not tolerated