Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:01 PM

sarahl is on a distinguished road
Smile Internet in PNG

Hi everyone. I'm a student in Australia. I'm writing a paper on the Internet in PNG. I'm wondering what you guys think about the Internet in PNG. Is it always a good thing? How do ordinary people in PNG access it? Are you guys all living in PNG or are you studying/working overseas?
Thanks heaps for your time,
Sarah.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM

toxinologist is on a distinguished road
Let's put it this way Sarah ... Optus in Australia offers 155Gb of monthly broadband access for A$59.95 ... in PNG a mere 5Gb/month costs about A$600-750.00 ...

Ordinary people have no capacity to access this very basic level of connectivity whatsoever.

Need anyone say more?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM

rosenvik is on a distinguished road
Post Put PICISOC against the wall

This link could give you guys a start point for further information research

http://picisoc.org/pipermail/picisoc_picisoc.org/2009-April/005382.html

Wbr/rosenvik
Old 20-09-2010, 10:44 AM

noddy1 is on a distinguished road
while expensive and unreliable....business would probably cease in PNG without it..
as Phones lines are lost for months etc....

at least with internet...if you can get some connection you can eventually download the emails etc you need....just hate those friendsthat send you multi MB emails !!!
Old 22-09-2010, 01:07 AM

rosenvik is on a distinguished road
Cool packet radio

One way to circumvent some costs could be using packet radio. Get i touch with local Ham-radio enthusiasts to find some more knowledge in the matter.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM

melanesianway is on a distinguished road
Post Facebook so popular in PNG thru mobile phone

Serah,

I guess you need to gather responses from all people from all angles to poll a collective impression. I live in PNG and internet use is expensive to afford for leisure/fun.

I have free internet coz my employer pays for it. The reason being internet access expensive in PNG is PNG does not have a satelite of its all. All internet cables are being wired from Australia up.

In terms of knowledge about the use of internet, many people in PNG now know the internet as a resource/information source as reliable. They now start to use Digicel phones to access their facebook pages on the internet.

I have a blog and have found out that the first top visitors are from Australia, second from USA and third from PNG and forth being UK etc...this stats only show how wide internet use in these countries. But for PNG, we cannot compare with Australia, UK and USA in this sense but because of the information being related to PNG, it is on the 3rd place on my blog.

With the PNG PNG project coming into the country, internet use has increase recently and the government is working under extreme pressure to meet this demand.

You can visit my blog and see yourself the hits we recieved from each country and get a picture of it.

Here it is: http://www.melanesianway.blogspot.com/

Thankyou.

Melanesian Way Admin - 2011
Old 16-01-2011, 07:31 PM

danny is on a distinguished road
would competition do the same to the internet as it did to mobile phones etc.? Remeber when it cost K120 minimum for a sim card (K20 sim card + K100 credits) with reception only in Port Moresby and Lae. Now the whole country is almost covered with a sim card costing K15+-. Competition brought the price down and the quality of service way up. Im sure the same can happen to internet service in PNG
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 AM

beaamaya is on a distinguished road
Sarah, like a previous poster, I would not be able to afford Internet access if it were not for my employer. As it is, I am in a PhD program at Texas Tech University in the USA and attended classes twice a week using Skype (for one class) and a MOO (a kind of secure chat room) for the other. Good access to the Internet in PNG could be transformational; it has in other similar locations throughout the world. Good luck with your paper.