Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 19-08-2012, 05:42 AM

jeraru is on a distinguished road
Problem with a Tok Pisin word

Hello. I'm looking at the internet for the word "extinguish" (referring to extinguish a fire) in Tok Pisin loanguage and I don't found it. If anyone could help me I will be so grateful. Thank you.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 24-08-2012, 01:48 AM

jeraru is on a distinguished road
Thanks for answer Ken but, if there is no word for extinguish, is there a similar word which can be used in the same way as "to put out", a metaphor or something related? Excuse me for the insistence but my native language is not English and I need to be precise.

If there is no similar word in any way, anyone can tell me if there is a word for "extinguish" or for "to put out" in Hiri Motu language?
Old 13-11-2012, 02:38 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
Extinguish ?

The Lister-Turner & Clark dictionary (2 Ed, 1931) lists "extinguish" as "habodoa" in common Motu. In Tok Pisin "Piss on 'im" would be excellent. "rausim" is generic for getting rid of something. From the German condescending (military) command "raus".

Keep in mind that languages with few speakers have a high flip-flop rate, so it may be a little different today. My Motu is mid-60s. Percy Chatterton lived in/near Hanuabada from 1922 to the 70s, and recorded the high flip-flops between d-r-l, with a 10 to 20 year cycle. "Ela" Beach (Turtle Beach) is likely to be the correct original pronunciation circa 1900, rather than some claiming "Era" is correct.

There is no Pidgin word for "centre" or "middle", nor "sphere". I remember trying to explain the Earth is a sphere and the Sun is at the centre of the Solar System, in Pidgin. Endded up drawing pictures for the haus boi, to which 'pikanini bull**** too mas' was uttered.

Last edited by rowanh; 13-11-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 23-01-2013, 02:47 PM

rowanh is on a distinguished road
www.tok-pisin.com translates EN:middle to TP:namel . It probably derives from EN:navel, being the centre of the body.

I don't remember the word namel from colonial days, nor do other Pisin speakers from that era, that I've checked with. It must have come into use post 70s.

Pisin generally lacks the ability to convey logical symbolism, and the concept of "centre" would have to be achieved by a simple analogy word, such as "belly button". Simple analogies can work, but only if the intended abstract meaning is conveyed to the listener.

It seems to me that 25y of TV has achieved more than the 100y of colonial rule ever did. Radio achieved very little; without pictures its just noise.
Old 23-01-2013, 03:22 PM

John Adams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeraru View Post
Hello. I'm looking at the internet for the word "extinguish" (referring to extinguish a fire) in Tok Pisin loanguage and I don't found it. If anyone could help me I will be so grateful. Thank you.
" Kilim i dai".
Old 23-01-2013, 03:27 PM

John Adams is on a distinguished road
After 42 years, I'm a bit rusty. Nearest I can recall would be "hamasea", as in "cause it to die" as distinct from "alaia" to kill.
Old 14-02-2013, 04:31 PM

jadeann is on a distinguished road
I can see very helpful reople here, it's nice.