View Single Post
Old 21-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
As Chairman of the Kokoda Memorial Foundation, Mr Lynn visited and inspected the rundown facilities of the Sogeri National High School, Iarowari High School and the Sogeri Primary School. He made a commitment to look for assistance in Australia, as well as push for the establishment of sister school relationships with schools in Australia.

Mr Lynn announced that the Kokoda Memorial Foundation would be providing educational scholarships for the best two students, male and female, from villages along the Kokoda Trail to study either at Iarowari High School or Sogeri National High School, and then hopefully, for those who want to go onto university. He said the Foundation aimed to introduce scholarships to 25 students per year within five years, and up to 250 students at the national high school, as well as those who wish to go onto university, and then come back as teachers.

“I would hope we would be able to develop some leadership programmes for them so that I would hope that the national leaders of Papua New Guinea come through this Foundation. I think that’s achievable. Maybe, we can look at Rhodes scholars coming out of this programme.

Mr Lynn said the Kokoda Memorial Foundation would co-ordinate all fundraising and dealing with both Australian and Papua New Guinea Governments for the future development of the Kokoda Trail and its people.