View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
In the beginning I was on uneven ground not knowing where to begin so I put something on my pngbd website about Kokoda. Before I could blink emails started flowing in at such a rate I soon found I needed a whole new website on Kokoda so I could get some sleep at night. Many people came to my rescue and helped provide the much needed information to satisfy your many questions. Jimmy who created my pngbd website designed the site and I became the interior decorator.

www.kokodatrail.com.au and www.kokodatrail.com.pg was soon established and we started taking our first trekkers over the trail. It was an exciting time for us as I personally entered unknown waters and yet another challenge in my life. Recently I was informed by Warren Bartlett (Executive Officer of the Kokoda Track Authority) that in 2004 we have taken more trekkers over the trail than any other trekking company which I feel is a proud achievement from a humble beginning but Russell and I have both worked hard at making this a success and always tried our best to give our trekkers the best experience possible.

Only one thing was missing......all our trekkers would ask.....Gail, have you walked the trail....the answer was always no, not yet, I got into this kinda by accident, do I look like a trekker? The reply more often than not, was, Gail, you just gotta do it!

Photograph: Our team when we stopped at Warren Bartlett's store at Sogeri so the boys could stock up on cigarettes etc before heading to Veselugo near Ower's Corner on the morning of the 13th November, 2004.

(left to right) Russell Eroro (Managing Director - Kokoda Trekking my JV Partner), Eric Uwea (Guide from Sogeri), Paulo Talanoa (Russell's nephew)- food porter, myself Gail Thomas, Kinglsey Boropi (Guide from Isurava)-this trek a food porter, Beverley Howell (my friend from Brisbane), our guide Chris Suma who in this trek acted as her 'Personal Porter' and in front, Syprian Heara (Guide from Kokoda) who was also one of our food porters:

Our t/shirts were done to promote our Kokoda 24 hour race where PNG people want to get the record back off Brian Freeman so it remains here in PNG. The race will be held on the 27 & 28th August, 2004. If you think you can beat Brian's time, the race is open to everyone who would like to enter ... GUESS WHO WILL NOT BE ENTERING THIS EVENT....I can only wonder how this is possible...24 hours, give me 9 days! Four of these guys have already put their names down to race and plan a practice run this month when they come into Port Moresby for some Christmas shopping:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Group Pic.jpg (90.0 KB, 633 views)