View Single Post
Old 28-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
THEIR MISSION STATEMENT

I suppose that this web site had its' genesis in the fact that I'm proud to have been a kiap and its' development has been facilitated by my interest in computing. It's such a pity that much of our past effort has gone to waste, you should see the country now but I wouldn't have missed it for "quids". This web site project may also be the result of the RSL syndrome kicking in, one of the many manifestations of my aging process as I slide towards blissful dementia.

I'm sick and tired of hearing the "fat ones" (olesem ol grisman na stilman na giamanman) blaming PNG's current parlous state on their so called "colonial inheritance". I believe that PNG administration was one of the most cost effective imperial, bureaucratic interventions of recent times, I can not think of another similar endeavour that was more effective or delivered "more bangs for the bucks". At the "business end" (or the "grass roots" level, whatever) it was in general purposeful, moral, ethical, honest regardless of whether we were part of a imperial policy whose motives may not have been as altruistic. I believe that we did do a good job in PNG.

PREAMBLE :

The following is an extract from an email (Aug 2000) I received from an (ex-didiman) friend (no names, no pack drill) who was then working in East Timor, it's re-assuring:

"Good to catch up with you last week over the phone. I am well settled into the local scene here in Dili now. It is a bit unreal with almost 12,000 UN expats here. Because East Timor is such a big event, all the head office types from every UN agency you have ever heard of, plus a few more you never imagined existed, have all come over here on short term assignment.

Because all they understand is a bureaucracy, they bring in hundreds of staff and feel secure in running their local empire. In fact they spend a lot of time protecting their turf and fighting as to who should do what. Engaging with the locals.

Sorry, who? What are the locals ?? I kid you not. It is terrible. In fact I bet one Kiap could achieve more than 100 UN workers are doing in a situation like this, and do at 25% the cost. However, this is the way the UN works and it is a sad thing that it is the best the human race has been able to come up with ..."
Attached Images
File Type: gif geography map of png.gif (36.5 KB, 195 views)