View Single Post
Old 30-09-2003, 11:00 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Hi Scott, Nice to hear from you again. Like you I have been down a trip to memory lane while visiting my dad. I'm pretty sure the shop I'm thinking of was called Highland Products in my day as per the '66 phone book I got from my dad. The VW combi van in one of the recent photos I posted belonged to them. I know so becauseI dated their son, Michael in the summer of '64 and we went everywhere in that van. I don't know about it being the Crowley family; have a feeling it might have been Emery. Still, though Michael was only seventeen when I knew him he was having private flying lessons: I didn't ask who with at the time - we were too busy kissing:-) I remember the circumstances clearly, though, because of a poem I knew and loved at the time and still do:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds and done a thousand things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew;
And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

One thing more I remember is that his father took me out sailing in his catamaran that he had moored at Voco Point - an experience that has stayed with me all my life, and which engendered a passion for sailing and canoeing: the thrill of being on the water without the noise of a motor and being privileged to share space with pelicans, cormorants and dolphins, not to mention innumerable species of fish.

If you're interested in clearer copies of any of the photos I've posted, or of the Lae section of the PNG phone book, let me know and I'll forward them on to you. Unfortunately, due to the downsizing necessary to meet posting requirements, a lot of the photos members post to these pages lose that all-important clarity needed to trigger those long-lost memories.

Last edited by wendyemc; 05-12-2005 at 02:53 PM.