View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 PM

mavarik74:k-ave is on a distinguished road
Lance Taylor's book on Sogeri is superb. I was given a copy of the book and have misplaced it. We moved house three times and I have no idea where it is. It could be in storage.

I remember Norm Vaughton who was my principal. I was a member of the succesful Sogeri Athletics team and played Rugby and Basketball.

In 73-74, there weren't many students from Oro, Fly or Gulf. So we formed a club that combined all three provinces called: WesternKeiPops. Our president was Ewan Ewago and he held the Queensland Under 16 athletics sprint title.

I was a classmate to Jerry Singarok, Vagi Oala, Ai Walo, Murphy Kila and we roomed in Dorm 7 (yr11) and later Dorm 10 (yr12).

Ms Marjorie Walker and Mr Barry Ison were our expressive Arts teachers and were responsible for the Sogeri Cultural group to visit Irian Jaya (West Papua) in 74 as part of Indonesian Independence celebrations. It was a wonderful tour. Many stories about getting lost in the marketplace in downtown Jayapura....

I since visited Jayapura, Ambon, Dili and Kupang as part of Northern Territory University (now Charles Darwin University)team between 91-93 to sign joint partnerships with Indonesian Universities.

I will always treasure the Sogeri memories.