View Single Post
Old 18-11-2003, 11:33 AM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
For 40 kilomtres each way we were doing seven hours if not eight in a day and Pam had informed us that we had to make it to Doe before six. So that meant walking for the most parts and so little time for resting. Our first stop was by the bridge under a rewarding shade of clustered bamboo trees. We had some snacks and after a deserving rest we were out again in the sun.

The blisters on my feet made it almost impossible for me to walk. I walked with difficulty and soon after that I was disappointed when my right knee and legs started to hurt.

I was the last on the line and my porter was with me all the time urging me carry on. I stopped again for a while, took off my shoes and start rubbing Vaseline against the blisters.

After that I started walking, and quite oblivious to my painful feet I pushed on ahead till I reached the other trekkers and then went ahead towards the river – an old picnic spot, where the old bridge was. It was fine spot with evident brick walls and water pipes but overgrown with vegetation.

“This used to be a favourite picnic spot for expatriates and many who live in the city. People loved these place and every weekend like this you would see cars parked over there under the trees – that was the parking area,” Peter one of the guides said wishfully.

Peter 35, from Doe had a car and used to enjoy driving back and forth from Doe to Port Moresby. His car has long broken down and he says it was useless to get another one since the road conditions were bad. Like everyone else he too walk all the way to Sogeri.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old bridge.jpg (73.1 KB, 146 views)