View Single Post
Old 06-03-2003, 04:18 PM

Bob Petras is on a distinguished road
I was at the crash site

I just stumbled across your posting about Darlene Bee.

I was in Lae, the Friday afternoon that the SIL Piper Aztec crashed outside of Lae on the flight back to Ukarumpa.

Seven people were killed in the crash. I was at the crash site on the Sunday afternoon. I knew several people on that flight including the New Zealand pilot, Doug Hunt and Kathleen McNeil who was based at Lae, Papua New
Guinea. Kathleen attended Lae Baptist Church where I attended. She was a buyer for SIL.

The crash occurred on April 7, 1972

I still have a lot of info of the crash as well as some slides of the grave site
in Lae where Darlene is buried. Darlene was a Wycliffe Bible Translators translator to the Usarufa tribe in Papua New Guinea.

I still have several copies of the Wycliffe publication called "Sharing" that detail
all of the info regarding the crash.

I am an Australian who was working in Lae at the National Bank (1971-1973) and then spent three months working at the SIL Base at Ukarumpa before returning to Sydney, Australia. I left Sydney in September 1973 and travelled to North America where I
have lived ever since.

I trust this message gets through to you. Don't hestitate to contact me for more
info.

Take care,

Bob Petras

TERRACE, B.C. Canada