View Single Post
Old 10-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
“The films that I recall showing many times, over and over again, were, Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, Guns of Naverone, heaps of Edie Murphy cowboy films, Kirk Douglas western films, John Wayne western films, even Elvis Presley films, the ever ready serial African Queen, and countless cartoons.”

Mr Dudgeon, now an invalid pensioner living at Warra in Queensland, still remembers the staff he worked with.

They include:

Dave Searl – “We had several experiences together ranging from go - carts to converted Volks Wagons. I last saw Dave working at a service station 23 to 25years ago in Lennox Head, New South Wales.”

Stan Carswell – “Dalby, I didn't know he was here until he phoned me one night. He died three months later about 1997 to 1998. Stan took me under his wing and taught me all about being a projectionist.”

Mrs Stewart – “The OIC of the Huon Theatre, known to us all as ‘aunty’. She was the daughter of old Ma Stewart, who owned the theatre and the Hotel Cecil at Voco Point. She would always ring us up in the projection room enquiring how we were going. No idea where she is now.”

The two Allans – “There were two Alans. The first Alan and I were a great team. He worked for the Government Roads Department in Lae. His mother owned a record shop in Lae. All music played before, and at intermission, used records from this shop. ‘Young’ Alan about 21 at the time (No. 2) got married while I was there. Took over from aunty after the theatre was sold. He left before I did.”

Lae during the 1970's :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lae-in-the-1970s.jpg (34.1 KB, 955 views)