Thread: StarTrek
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 08:42 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Harlan Ellison has passed away.

Born on May 27 1934, Harlan Ellison was a science fiction author and had written the original Star Trek series episode The City on the Edge of Forever which guest starred Joan Collins.
Ellison was a Doctor Who fan and wrote the foreword for the Americanised Doctor Who Target novelisations first published in 1979.
This is what he wrote in his foreword including an unflattering description of Star Trek despite earlier written The City on the Edge of Forever:
“I stood my ground, there on the lecture platform at the World Science Fiction Convention, and I repeated the heretical words that had sent them into animal hysterics: "Star Wars is adolescent nonsense; Close Encounters is obscurist drivel; Star Trek can turn your brains into puree of bat guano; and the greatest science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one or all in a bunch to back it up!"

Ellison later became involved with Babylon 5 serving as conceptual consultant and provided the story for the episodes A View from the Gallery & Objects in Motion.
Ellison also acted in Babylon 5 in Ceremonies of Light and Dark voicing Sparky the Computer, The Face of the Enemy playing a PsI Cop and Day of the Dead voicing Zooty.
Other acting work included The Godson & The Simpsons

Other TV series he had written for included Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Outer Limits, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Logan's Run & The Twilight Zone.
His first Outer Limits episode Soldier later entered controversy with The Terminator (1984) with him stating that he believed this movie was based on Soldier without his permission.
This matter was ultimately settled which included Ellison getting the credit of “acknowledgment to the works of” and he said that he loved the movie.
He died on June 28 2018 just a little over a month after his 84th birthday.