Papua New Guinea Forum

Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/index.php)
-   School Mates (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Igam Barracks or Lae High (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424)

lauwt 08-01-2002 12:41 PM

Igam Barracks or Lae High

Hi Everyone,

Did anyone out there go to Igam Barracks primary or Lae High in the early seventies (1971/72)?

Scott Martin 04-09-2002 09:21 PM

I didn't attend Lae High but would have if I hadn't been sent to boarding school. Finished grade 6 at Coronation Drive (Lae Primary 'A' School) in 1970 so most my class went on to Lae High in 1971. Would love to hear from anyone of that era......

lauwt 05-09-2002 12:16 PM

Hi Scott - I was in first form in 1971 - can you remember the names of any of your friends as I may remember them.

Scott Martin 05-09-2002 12:51 PM

Names I remember from my 1970's Grade 6 class are: Terry Madero, Louis Wong, Victor Wong, Derek Wong, Martin Arenas, Mark Connor, Agnes English, Lois Chee, Betty Ahnon, Susan Tam, Karen Milburn, Rosita Delacruz, Katie Shepherd, Chris Todd, Ethel and Colin Stehr. Apologies for my dim memory, and dodgy spelling of names. Names I remember from the year after include my younger brother Craig, Adrian Pritchard and Johnny O'Brien. Other family names from Lae include the Bowmans, Jacobsens, Sheldrick, Farrelly, Richardson, Davies and Kelly (their house burnt down in Cassia Crescent in the late 1960's).

lauwt 10-09-2002 04:50 PM

Thanks Scott,
You have a great memory although I don't recall any of the names. Perhaps my memory is not up to scratch. Living at Igam Barracks we were a bit insular in terms of who we mixed/played with. Did you know anyone from Igam Barracks?

Scott Martin 10-09-2002 05:23 PM

Do not recall anyone from the Barracks. I do recall that my Grade 6 teacher, Sue Hall (nee Noblett), was married to an Army Officer but I have no idea where they lived. I do know that she had also grown up in Lae. Like you I tended to hang with kids who lived nearby, firstly 11th Street where we lived from the early 1960's (second house on the left) until 1969/70 when we shifted to Cassia Crescent (last house on the right, near the "Roundwater). Unfortunately I have no photos of my Grade 6 class, only a photo of Prep and Grade 4. I intend to post these photos on this site in the near future, just as soon as my parents can send them to me. Do you have a photo of your Form 1?

Scott Martin 10-09-2002 05:44 PM

And one more thing; kids also associated with kids they saw at the Clubs our folks went to; Yacht Club, Golf Club, Lae Club, RSL and Comworks Club, later known as the Aviat Club. We were Comworks Club people.

gsarkozy 28-02-2003 12:30 AM

hello
i went to Lae high in 1975?
is that a help
i was in year 7( form 1)
i had the head master that limpt and the dog did too.
one girl i rember lived in Igam barricks
(Belinda Frith)
we lived near the round water too.
dad was a doctor at the hospital
regards .......geza sarkozy

lisa reid 16-06-2003 11:34 PM

Igam Barracks

Lived on base 1980-1982. No school on base then. One army bus collected all kids from base homes and took us all to school in Lae be it, lihs or the primary schools. Was a hell of a trip particularly in the wet season, main road was potholed and mud. Can't remember the bus drivers name. Same one, every day - png soldier.
Didn't know there was a school on base till now!

lauwt 08-07-2003 09:04 PM

Igam Barracks Again

Igam Barracks was definitely thriving in 1968-1972. The primary school (near the creek and just up from the pool) was split into 2 sections - the Australian curriculum and the Territory (then known) strands, but we all mixed well.

The bus ride to high school was a classic I will always treasure. No bus rides like that in Sydney - how boring. Woodwork at the primary school consisted of going bush up to the water tank on the hill for hours!

Does anyone have photos of the barracks?