Papua New Guinea Forum

Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/index.php)
-   Murray International School (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Looking for ex Murray Primary students..... (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6539)

TrishH 29-04-2003 12:21 AM

Looking for ex Murray Primary students.....

Hi,

I'm looking for ex Murray Primary School students, particularly of the years 1968 - 1974, the years I went to school there.

I especially would like to make contact with Raga Rabona (last known name) and would appreciate if any help can be given in locating her.

I was last in Port Moresby in 1991 for a ceremonial feast for my mother organised by my uncle, Bernard Solien. I was there for only 2 weeks and didn't get much chance to try to locate Raga. If anyone knows how I can contact her, please let me know.

If there are any Soliens or Hunnams out there, I'd also like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,
Trish Hunnam :)

jim bamber 07-05-2003 11:49 AM

murray primary and a hunnam

HI trish

My brother David and I went to Murray Barracks until 1973.

I go running with Jeff Hunnam in Darwin who came down with his parents from Rabaul.

Also know the exPNG Soliens in Darwin very well. Children (my age included Ros, Lindy, Hank)

I can speak to them for you if required.

cheers
jim

TrishH 07-05-2003 12:18 PM

Ex Murray students

Hello Jim,

I think I remember your brother David.......he would've been in the same grade as me (Grade 6 in 1974)??

The Soliens in Darwin that you mentioned are related to me, however I rarely see them. The next time you see any of them, could you please mention that I have a website which I am slowly building and would like further info in regards to their family...if they wouldn't mind helping. Thanks.

David Hunnam....can you give me more info on him? I thought I was the only Hunnam in PNG (apart from my parents, of course)!!! All my rellies on dad's side (Hunnam) live in the UK, so I'd be interested to know if he's a part of my ancestral line (which I have info on).

Do you keep in touch with anyone from POM?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Trish

jim bamber 07-05-2003 06:53 PM

Hi Trish

Do you have the website address or an email contact for soliens to contact you? (alternatively I'll get them to register on this excellent site. I've been spreading the word through the Darwin PNG community about this site).

It's jeff hunnam that I know and they're part chinese. He's a really really nice guy. I'll speak to him later this week about his parent's origins.

i forgot to mention the natera's who came down to darwin also. they lived opposite us in hohola.

My dad remarried in png - my stepmother(mother) was from finschhaffen morobe district. she died of cancer in february, and the extended family back in png are waiting for us to bring her ashes back

ps that 1973 murray barracks class photo shows me - 2nd last row, third from the right

cheers
jim

jim bamber 07-05-2003 07:11 PM

hi trish

had another look at that photo. it says year 5 but i could swear it was me. must be my brother david. we left png in march 1974 for darwin so he was year 6 in 74, year 5 in 73.

jim bamber 07-05-2003 07:15 PM

school fads

remember that hoop craze we all went through? a piece of hose in a loop or a bike tyre, and a long piece of wire to guide the hoop. we used to play red rover on the oval with the hoops.

and those flavoured milks we got in plastic bags. if you bit the corner they made excellent squirts for milk fights.

TrishH 08-05-2003 12:28 AM

Soliens in Darwin

Hi Jim,

My website is currently undergoing an overhaul, but I can be contacted via email at prh@email.com.

Sorry, you did mention Jeff Hunnam, not David Hunnam. My mum is a Solien (Emily), married my father Bill Hunnam in Port Moresby. He originated from England but lived in POM since 1950's, I believe. Both my parents are deceased so I am relying on relatives for info on both sides of the family. He used to work at Dept of Civil Aviation.

Noel Natera was in my Grade 4 class, I think (teacher was Mrs McNamara, she was Indian)....not sure of any others. What grade were you in, in 1974?

Regards,
Trish

TrishH 08-05-2003 12:36 AM

Re Murray photos

Jim,

I remember the hoop craze very well! I was a tomboy back then & chased one around everywhere. I also used to play marbles at Murray, on one of the manhole covers in the ground....to entertain myself cos mum dropped me off at school around 7am each morning.

Do you remember a cousin of mine, Ernie Solien? He was in Grade 6 in 1973.

The Grade 5 pic....I'm in the front row, 3rd from the right.

......and I do remember the flavoured milk bags! I think they used to cost 10 or 20 cents each??

Regards,
Trish

jim bamber 08-05-2003 06:40 PM

soliens in darwin stream

Hi trish

had a look at your website last night (duh, jim - it was in your profile). it looks pretty good already. there's definitely a family resemblance between soliens there and darwin soliens.

my final year at murray was with mrs stubberfield. in 1974 i was packed off to all souls at charters towers before we all moved to darwin. david was stlll at murray in 1974 though for first term.

it all got confused because when we got to darwin they made me do another final year at primary school - year 7.

i don't remember ernie, but he was in my grade. i'm lousy with names but faces are familiar. some of the faces in the '73 class photo are hauntingly familiar. your earlier photo showing the elevated classroom in the background brings back many memories also. remember sports day where we went marching down to the murray barracks oval near taurama corner? going to support the south pacific games at sir hubert murray stadium?

cheers
jim

Justine 26-10-2003 12:42 PM

Solien's in Darwin

Hi Trish
My name is Justine Maxwell (nee Solien) and my mother is Cathy Solien who is a sister to those mentioned above (Ros, Lindy, Hank). There is also Marina, Margaret, Eric, John, Alu and James. They are spread out between Darwin, Katherine and Brisbane. Lots of children and grandchildren in between. I will let them know of this website if you like.
Cheers
Justine