Papua New Guinea Forum

Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lae (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   another blast from the past - photos of Lae from the 50's and 60's. (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8427)

Glennis Korsman 14-06-2004 12:45 PM

hi wendy.......... re photo 19 i feel the building is the centre court of the IPI building of which pauls cafe was on the corner out the front it was in 1st stree............love looking at the photos........ex lae it Glennis korsman

wendyemc 15-06-2004 05:51 PM

IPI Building

Thanks, Glennis. Glad you enjoyed the pics. I couldn't put them on my website as they're not mine, but this is a good place to share them. Your thoughts confirm what others have told me, and now that my memory has been prodded sufficiently I do vaguely remember the building, which was completed not that long before I left Lae. Did you and Larian manage to get in touch with Gay Lumme?

Regards, Wendy

Larian 29-07-2004 10:17 PM

looking for gay

hi Wendy, glennis found gay she is living over in western australia but only found her through her brother who lives in rocky and so far that is it.

robyndillon54 20-09-2004 08:50 PM

HI Wendy my name is Robyn Dillon I married Geoff Sawyers years ago and I am sure his mother had a dress shop in this shopping centre unfortunately his mother has past away now but I do remember it I also remember it being nice but the lights in this photo make it look grander than I remember it being Geoff and I are no longer married but we are still very good friends so I will tell him about this site and see if he can remember anything .

Kindest Regards
Robyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyemc
Photo 19. This one has me stumped. It's in the postcard series my Mum and Dad posted South in the early to mid 60's but I don't remember anything quite this grand in Lae in that era. Can anyone out there enlighten me?

Chris Byrne 20-09-2004 11:15 PM

Dress Shop in the IPI Building

At one time the dress shop in the IPI Building was owned by Rose Hughes. I can't remember if she bought it as a going concern, or whether she sold it to someone else....

Chris Byrne 12-12-2004 12:58 PM

Carols by Candlelight

As we approach Christmas I am reminded of the Christmas (around 1962 or 1963) when Arthur Strachan directed a choir that presented carols by candlelight.

The actual event took place on an oval just off Markham Road, some distance before the Cecil Hotel and on the same side of the road (it was not the ground where we played football - that was off to the other side of Markham Road). The choir practices took place at the Coronation Street Primary A school. I remember doing "We Three Kings" and "The Holly and the Ivy" in particular.

drgreg 18-06-2005 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppie
Doesn't look much different to now :D

i was thinking exactly the same thing...

i lived in lae 10 years ago and nothing seems to change - 1905, 1965, 1995, 2005 - all the same

anyone have any photos of the 3-mile agriculture offices. i used to work there. i loved the trees overhanging the road there.

wendyemc 20-07-2005 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drgreg
i was thinking exactly the same thing...

i lived in lae 10 years ago and nothing seems to change - 1905, 1965, 1995, 2005 - all the same

anyone have any photos of the 3-mile agriculture offices. i used to work there. i loved the trees overhanging the road there.

Sorry, no photos of 3 mile as yet; I have people sending me old PNG photos all the time though, for my web site. Will let you know if any turn up.

Regards, Wendy

drgreg 21-07-2005 12:40 AM

thanks wendy. i have stacks of png photos in storage in australia... when i get back there next year i will dig them out and scan the good ones to post here. maybe i can find a few digital ones here somewhere in the meantime.

right now i am living in korea. a far cry from png...

Jellybean 28-09-2005 09:26 PM

Wendy
I was Lae born & bred, have loved looking at your pictures. Are you after old photos of Lae? What are you using them for? My parents moved to Lae in 1963 as newlyweds from Scotland and stayed until 1985. I know they have a lot of old photos, slides etc. Let me know if you're interested.
Gillian