Papua New Guinea Forum

Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lae (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   another blast from the past - photos of Lae from the 50's and 60's. (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8427)

blade_runner 20-02-2004 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wendyemc
Photo 19. This one has me stumped. It's in the postcard series my Mum and Dad posted South in the early to mid 60's but I don't remember anything quite this grand in Lae in that era. Can anyone out there enlighten me?
This is the IPI building .....in Lae of course

wendyemc 20-02-2004 02:16 PM

Thanks, Jim, for trying to help. I was able to confirm from another source the surname of the Michael I dated in the summer of '64, and whose parents either owned or managed the shop I'm thinking of. It was Michael Emery: another piece of the memory jigsaw puzzle in place:-) I'm going to Hervey Bay with Bob for a couple of weeks and will be out of touch; will catch up with you when I get back.

Thanks, too, blade runner for your message on the IPI building. I do vaguely remember having a coffee there once now that you and other members have shed some light on the subject.

Chris Byrne 22-03-2004 01:45 AM

See following message

Chris Byrne 22-03-2004 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyemc
Photo 26 - Postcard series cover - an unspecified shot of Lae. Does anyone recognize where it is?

This is looking down the hill that ran from the "town" end of Coronation Drive, down to Markham Road (also known as "Little Namanula", if I'm not mistaken). If you enlarge the photo you can just glimpse the old airstrip at the bottom, on the far side of Markham Road.

My parents had a Morris Minor (2 doors, 850cc engine). If it had enough speed coming off Markham Rd, it could just make it to the top of this hill in 4th gear. A little too slow and the engine started to "knock", and a gear change was inevitable half-way up the hill...

wendyemc 22-03-2004 07:53 AM

Hi Chris,

Nice to see some input on these pages again. I think you're right about photo 26 being a shot looking down Coronation Drive. I have one posted in my other thread of Bob's Lae photos, looking up Coronation Drive from the park at the bottom. We, too, had a Morris Minor (2 door) in Lae - our second car after the Singer with the ****y seat. Mum & Dad brought it second-hand around probably 1960/'61 and it was pale green as I remember. They bought a new Morris 1100, again pale green, in 1965, which I remember well - I put the very first dent in it out near Malahang when Bob was teaching me to drive, which didn't make either of us exactly popular with my parents
:-)

Cheers, Wendy

Chris Byrne 22-03-2004 08:53 AM

Morris Minor

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyemc
Hi Chris,

Nice to see some input on these pages again. I think you're right about photo 26 being a shot looking down Coronation Drive. I have one posted in my other thread of Bob's Lae photos, looking up Coronation Drive from the park at the bottom. We, too, had a Morris Minor (2 door) in Lae - our second car after the Singer with the ****y seat. Mum & Dad brought it second-hand around probably 1960/'61 and it was pale green as I remember. They bought a new Morris 1100, again pale green, in 1965, which I remember well - I put the very first dent in it out near Malahang when Bob was teaching me to drive, which didn't make either of us exactly popular with my parents
:-)

Cheers, Wendy

Hi, Wendy.
My mother finally traded the Morris Minor for a pale blue Mini Minor in about 1963 and subsequently traded the first Mini for another in about 1967. She took delivery of the second one in Sydney, used it during her "leave", then shipped it back to Lae. I learned to drive in the second one, but only "dinged" it after it was shipped back to Sydney in 1971.

Cheers,
Chris

alisonh 05-05-2004 02:53 PM

Wendy,
The photos are great - do you have any more? I lived in Lae from 1953-1966 and I believe I went to school with your sister, Diane. I remember your house well and played there many times. Mum left Lae in 1970, and I can't seem to locate all the photos we had and would love to see more
Alison

BJ Hale 05-05-2004 03:49 PM

How clean!!!
How beautiful!!!
Amazing to see the photos - thanks Wendy.

wendyemc 05-05-2004 08:59 PM

Hi Alison,

I vividly remember an Alison ****ie who was a close friend of my sister, along with Daphne Wong, and have a class photo from what I think is '65, though Chris Byrne thinks it was '64. Dad also has a lovely photo of the three of you (assuming you ARE Alison ****ie).

There are heaps more photos of mine on this site. Check out page 2 of the Lae thread. Also, Scott Martin's are well worth a look at. I have more on my web site at
wendyclarke.com

Regards, Wendy

wendyemc 05-05-2004 09:02 PM

Hi BJ,

Glad you enjoyed the photos. There are lots more of mine on page 2 of the Lae thread, along with Scott Martin's, which are also well worth a look at.

Rgeards, Wendy