Papua New Guinea Forum

Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel & Tourism Discussion (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Nissan Island, Green Island (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26015)

Stickan 14-05-2009 04:11 AM

Nissan Island, Green Island

Hi,
Is there someone who any information about these islands in PNG?
Is it possible to contact anyone?
We are some persons who plan to got to this island but we need some contact and info.

davidwtierney 14-07-2009 11:59 PM

I travelled to Buka Is. 2007 and plan to go there later this year and as you likely to be aware Green Is. is between Buka Is and Rabaul. I think there use to be an airfield on the Island - built in WW2 so you might pick up a filght from Rabaul. I saw no evidence of small planes at Buka. More likely you might be able to get a passage on a costal trading boat but I am not sure how you would find out about the schedules. You could search the internet for shipping lines in PNG and see if you can find one that goes to Green Is. If it were me I'd take pot luck and write to the Headmasted at the local primary school, or to the Pastor?Priest at the mission (my guess is that they would have both a primary school and/or a mission there) and ask for advice about how to get there.

All the best David

davidwtierney 18-06-2011 03:15 PM

Michael
are you Bill and Pam's son?
David Tierney

CAFFIAUX Paul 02-11-2011 09:50 PM

Photograph Wanted

Hello,
My apologies for this request, but a cousin of mine CAFFIAUX Paul, French Marist was a missionary during 50 years in PNG, and after his death in 1984 was buried in the cemetery of Tungol Parish, Nissan Island.
We have no photograph of his grave. This service to his memory would be much appreciated.
Best regards
Alain

davidwtierney 04-11-2011 01:02 PM

Alain
there is likely to be a Catholic mission/school on Nissan that you could write to. Or the other option would be to write to the Bishop of Bougainville c/o Hahela Catholic Church, Hahela, Bougainville, PNG

CAFFIAUX Paul 05-11-2011 12:31 AM

Thanks David,
I'll try
Alain

davidwtierney 05-11-2011 01:19 PM

Alain
Some additional thoughts. You might find some information by contacting - Marists Asia Pacific Solidarity who have had a strong focus in Bougainville. Also you could post a request for information on the following site exkiap.net. The second site is a forum for ex patrol officers some of whom are likely to have met your cousin.
David

CAFFIAUX Paul 05-11-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwtierney (Post 90909)
The second site is a forum for ex patrol officers some of whom are likely to have met your cousin.
David

Hi David,
It' would be ........ heavenly, the previous bishop, now in Netherlands, had well known him, and Fr Caffiaux appears in some stories of the islands during the Japanese occupation ( he was there from 1934 to 1984)
Regards
Alain

William Joseph 11-11-2011 05:00 PM

Green Island

I cannot find much information about it, all I could find is Nissan island is the largest of green islands and it had an airbase constructed over there during the world war 2.

I think if you just contact a PNG travel guide he will be able to take you to this place.

I think its a historical spot

CAFFIAUX Paul 26-11-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Joseph (Post 90951)
I cannot find much information about it, all I could find is Nissan island is the largest of green islands and it had an airbase constructed over there during the world war 2.

Hi,
Yes, there is a bird sight ( always the same), but nothing else (the last lost paradise .. ???)
Alain