Papua New Guinea Forum

Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finding (Old) Friends (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Port Moresby 1980 - 1987 ..were you there? (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22805)

Tobyt 06-12-2007 11:43 PM

Port Moresby 1980 - 1987 ..were you there?

I don't seem to see many names on the forum that were in and around Moresby during the period of '80 - '87.

If you were there during that time why not leave your name and say hello, we might have met especially if you spent time around the Yacht Club and the Aviat.

I'll check back from time to time and see if anyone that was there around that time knows how to use the PC and the net.

Regards,

Nick T.

Nats 02-03-2008 12:12 PM

Hi there. I was there between 1980 and 85. Last name Austen. Parents were there until 87.

iainrowe 25-03-2008 01:03 AM

Port Moresby

hi,

i lived in gerehu from 1979 until 1985 with my parents, my name is Ian Doherty.

i used to go to ela beach school which i believe is no longer there.

Morally 28-03-2008 11:41 AM

Mary O'Reilly and I was a regular at the Aviat and also the Disco Nights at the Yachtie

Tobyt 28-03-2008 05:05 PM

Thanks for the contributions and responses. Keep them coming! Never know whose paths might cross.

Regards

Nick T.

roydongi 03-05-2008 01:51 PM

Hi, I was in POM between '74 to '92. Lived in Konedobu, behind the Post Courier. Nem bilong me Roy Requintina. Married Carmen Plummer of Gordons. Worked for PNG Shipping, then became New Guinea Australia Line (NGAL). Later joined Steamships Shipping before joining WTB a subsidiary of BP's Shipping. Anyone who knows Jeff Evenett and Maurice Elavo please say Hi!

iainrowe 04-05-2008 05:55 PM

Pom

Hi,

My Mother Used To Work At The Post Courier And I Used To Hang Around With A Guy Called Johnny, He Used To Live On The Corner House Right Beside The Courier.

I Remember On Da Nights We Used To Go To The Take Away Opposite Across The Road And Buy Cows Tongue.

Is Steamships The Store Still There?

I Lived In Gerehu, Which Back Then Was Quieter Times To Now I Believe, U Used To Get The Odd Rascal But Was Not Too Bad

roydongi 05-05-2008 01:06 PM

Hi Iainrowe,
My recollection to houses there; as you face the post courier, to your right are two gavman houses one of which was occupied by the GM of Government Printing Office, Ernest Awo, and the other I'm not sure. On the left hand side of PC towards Lohberger Engineering not sure of any houses there except for a yard owned by Steamships. Where I used to leave was on a house behide Govt printing office which is behind Post Courier. In my hood was the famous PNG Boxer Thomas Sogolik, and a couple of apprentice's houses available to apprentices from GPO.

When I left POM in '92 STC the supermarket in town was still there. Not sure if it's still there though.

I have some recollection of Gerehu as I had a friend who used to leave there. Can't quite remember who it was, but from Kone to Gerehu, I would floor my Holden Torana taking the back road rathern than taking the route via Ela Beach, Badili, Korobosea, Hohola, Waigani, to Uni, then Gerehu. hehee!

Where I lived in Kone, there was a settlement with kids I grew up with and respected. Some would call them rascals but to me and my family they were family.

cheers,
Roy

iainrowe 06-05-2008 03:56 PM

hi,

i am not sure which house exactly it was, it been a while.
i have great memories of driving along the back roads especially when the windscreen shattered every other week. lol
all i meant by gerehu and rascals was that you used to get 10 to 20 of them breaking into your house every couple of years or stoning it to try and get in.
we used to live across the road from a local band in gerehu who had a good few releases by a label, (music tapes jeese that was a while ago).
i used to go to the night club across from the bank in pom i think it was and do break dancing with a guy called moody for the customers.

i have to admit i would love to be back there again

hotwood 08-05-2008 04:05 AM

Lived in POM 1982 -1987 Moisana Street, Korobosea.

Chidren went to Murray International.

Family name Barnes.

Aviat was our favourite haunt.

Boroko Squash club and indoor cricket club near the airport.