Papua New Guinea Forum

Papua New Guinea Forum (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lae (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Gusap "Fringe of Morobe" (http://www.pngbd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12335)

"xtc" 21-01-2005 05:29 PM

Ramu Sugar and Gusap "Fringe of Morobe"

2 Attachment(s)
I just thought I ought to place here fotos of Gusap a couple of hours drive from the city of Lae....

A lovely end of the Markham valley. Waterrais (Water Rise) at Gusap is the uppermost part of the Markham and Ramu Valleys. As a general rule streams that arise east of Watarais flow to the Huon Gulf and Solomon Sea (via Markham River) and those that begin west of Watarais flow into the Bismark sea (via Ramu River)

"xtc" 21-01-2005 05:53 PM

Gusap cont.....

2 Attachment(s)
One of these pictures was taken from the HKL mine mountains toward Gusap. The other taken at the apex of the HKL mountain shows the HKL Medic Loncie (right).

"xtc" 21-01-2005 06:13 PM

Gusap cont....

2 Attachment(s)
The Gusap-Ramu Area is home to Ramu Beef, Ramu Sugar and Ramu Oil Palm,HKL gold mine and HPL nickle mines. Here are a couple of Oil Palm Pix

"xtc" 21-01-2005 06:22 PM

Gusap cont....

2 Attachment(s)
Sugar is the backbone of the Downs. Here are a couple of pix showing a mechanical harverster, (Ramu is proudly among the few developing nations whose sugar harvesting is completely mechanized).

"xtc" 21-01-2005 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Gusap-Ramu Area is situated on the fringes of three provinces. However, when the provincial political boundaries are stripped away the area is actually a large economically active site. Perhaps requiring its own political administration ?????

"xtc" 21-01-2005 06:43 PM

Gusap cont...

2 Attachment(s)
Last Gusap pix before logging out. A bush fire during the dry season when villagers hunt for banticoots. And the Gusap shopping mall.

"xtc" 12-02-2005 01:49 PM

More on Gusap Downs and the upper Ramu Valley

2 Attachment(s)
Some of these pix were taken by Edith and Trina of Port Moresby

"xtc" 12-02-2005 02:11 PM

Gusap cont

2 Attachment(s)
The Sausi health centre pictures were taken before the massive 2004 flood that wiped out the school opposite the health centre. There are other pix in pngbc.com of the actual flood.

These are Trina and Edith at the Gusap sugar mill and of the Gusap Anti Rubbish Campaign.

"xtc" 12-02-2005 02:24 PM

Gusap cont

2 Attachment(s)
Pix of Gusap in the morning and the Bruce Jeffcott H/way near Walium govt station

"xtc" 12-02-2005 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pix of Ramu Beef country and Ramu Oil Palm country. The Ramu Beef at Gusap Downs is probably the biggest producer of Beef. Oil Palm trials have shown success during the dry spells near Watarais (the upper edge of the MarKham Valley) here John Chris Dotson and Reuben Aila point out the oil palm plantings.