PDA

View Full Version : 2004 PNG visit (help!??)

Scuba_Steve
30-12-2003, 09:45 AM
This is my first posting here so forgive me if I am asking questions already answered elsewhere

I hope to return to the Rabaul/ENB region in 2004 since having first visited 3 years ago. I had first visited as part of a scuba dive trip and had spent a few days in Rabaul at the beginning and end of the week's boat trip.

In the course of the boat motoring around the region and anchoring near many smaller islands, we were met daily by locals who would come to the boat to trade and visit with the crew. I admit that as much as I loved the diving, I felt that I was missing something very important - the people.

I realize what I hope to do may not be simple but I ought to start by asking...

In addition to spending time in the Rabaul/Simpson Harbour/Kokopo region, I would really like to spend a week's time on one of the smaller islands in the region - more of a "get-away" - possibly camping solo as well as visiting with some of the people there.

I would certainly need to travel with somebody who knew the local area and could act as interpreter (and to prevent me from doing something stupid in my ignorance)

Any advice? Recommended contacts?

It seems the Kaivuna is no longer operational but the Hamamas still is. Should I work local contacts through the Hotel?

So many questions - no doubt there'll be more as I get organized.

THANK YOU for making this board possible.

Steve

muppie
30-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Hi, I am sure if you contact the people from Hamamas they might be able to at least recommend a guide for you. The owner of Hamamas Hotel is Bruce Alexander. I think they have an email address - I just wish I remember what it was :).

There's another good hotel in Rabaul I forgot the name though. Rabaul Travelodge I think rings a bell.

Another idea for you instead of going to Rabaul again, there are other nice places too like Tufi and Walindi Plantation (diving spots) and Nusa Island (great for surfing), Milne Bay province, Madang, etc.

Let us know if you need more specific info.

Scuba_Steve
30-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Thank you very much.

I am very interested in the Rabaul area and the islands within the local area but am now only a few hours into the planning so am taking any/all thoughts to heart.

Looking forward to the return.

PNG has been in my thoughts since the last time there and it is simply time now to plan the next visit.

boosta
30-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Scuba_Steve,

When are you planning your trip to Rabaul?
A friend of mine is doing research in Rabaul around Febuary 2004 for a couple of weeks and could be of some help showing you around Kokopo, Rabaul Town, the Gela Gela resettlement area as well as war memorials.

boost

Scuba_Steve
30-12-2003, 01:49 PM
February is probably a little too soon to get forgiveness at work. They know of my plans so if I become ill for 2-3 weeks, they may become suspicious.

The trip may be based more on work schedule than on an ideal time.

Last time, I was in the area in October but I hope to be there closer to mid-year.