PDA

View Full Version : Potter makes 150 cups ‘in 3 days’ for 15th Pacific Judicial Conference

***aCe***
26-06-2003, 06:55 PM
by Alison Anis

An experienced potter from the Papua New Guinea Potter’s Society based in Port Moresby, has successfully finished making a total of 150 cups for the 15th Pacific Judicial Conference, currently staged in Madang.

It took, Kelly Kaikin from the Wapenamanda district in Enga province, an unbelievable and artfully laborious three days, last week to create the “much requested” cups for the judicial gathering.

According to Kelly, these would be for use during the legal gathering and some will be used to present legal practitioners from around the Pacific who are currently attending the conference.

The skillful Kelly with some of the cups he made for the judicial conference

***aCe***
26-06-2003, 07:03 PM
The judicial cups were skillfully made from clay using artificial pottery tools and inscribed were the words: “15th Pacific Judicial Conference, Madang, PNG” and the famous designs of the ‘Bird of Paradise.’

The artful Kelly has further emblazoned it with a hard, smooth and shining texture by adding an ‘iron shining”- awarding it a breathtaking appearance.

Kelly with an admirer, Tau displaying the cups for the prhotographer

***aCe***
26-06-2003, 07:08 PM
This is quite an “accomplishment under extremely harsh conditions and circumstances” by Kelly and his three other talented potter colleagues. It has been a constant struggle over the years for the trio, who, have been operating in the country with no proper facilities, no proper housing and not, one assistance from the governing agencies.

“This is something truly Papua New Guinean made and we should be proud that we are able to offer something like these to visitors to our country,” Kelly, an experience potter for more than 15 years said.

The potter at work!

***aCe***
26-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Kelly did the cups out of the request from the judicial body in the country and at the charge of K15.50 for each cup. He is now looking at earning a total of K2, 325 from the legal society for his services.

“I have been doing pottery since 1984 and have gained experience through my commitment in this area. I have come up with different ideas on how to improve the art of pottery in our country. We could do more in this area but there is no back up and yet we are struggling out of our own pockets to do something that is truly ours,” he added.

Some of Kelly's work

***aCe***
26-06-2003, 07:15 PM
According to Kelly and his colleagues, pottery proved to be a very expensive exercise one that needed support. However, they also agreed that there was also a good price for it.

The veteran potter said he could make 300 cups in a day. “I believe I could do more than that, but the problem is we don’t have enough clay and no proper facilities.”

The PNG Potter’s Society is located within the Waigani Arts Center, which is directly at the back of the National Parliament and next to the New Zealand Embassy.

And the cups...he made!

***aCe***
27-06-2003, 10:49 AM
In here, Kelly and his colleagues, struggle everyday to put their artistic skills into practice by making and designing pots, cups, plates, flower pots and vases.

Every Saturday at the end of each month, the potters with their products make their way down to the craft market at the Ela Beach to display and sell their products.

“Sometimes people come by to buy our products but not many people know where we are. We only make more when we are required to do so or when an order is put,” Kelly said.

One of the potter Eki Yawa

***aCe***
27-06-2003, 10:54 AM
The potter has also finished making two panels with beautifully designed crocodile “pukpuk” and is awaiting a potential buyer.

He had to make 170 tiles (each, ready-numbered) which is to be joined together to give the desired picture.

“I work and work fast. Usually I have my hand at the same time head to do the job,” Kelly revealed the secret to his success.

The potter showing one of the 170 tiles he made with the designs of the pukpuk

***aCe***
27-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Sadly, enough for the society, they have to try their best to upgrade their standard of operation and the place in which they operate from.

“There are currently three of us from PNG and we have to try somehow to keep the society going,” Kelly concluded.

//Ends

The banner with the printed name of the society. The potters made this by themselves

***aCe***
27-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Potter, Eki standing next to the banner

***aCe***
27-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Some of the pots and cups made by the potters