PDA

View Full Version : Birth Certificates Information for Papua New Guinea

aussie
19-09-2002, 06:36 PM
We are often asked for information in relation to obtaining Birth Certifcates for children born in Papua New Guinea.

Today I have come across my own children's birth certificates who were born at Angau Memorial Hospital, Lae in the late '70's.

Unless it has changed, the following is what is required if you wish to obtain a copy of your birth details:

CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH ENTRY

This document can be obtained by writing to the Hospital where you were born, ie in my case 'Angau Memorial Hospital'.

However, whenever my children apply for a new passport the Australian authorities refuse to use this as a 'Birth Certificate', instead they insist on:

EXTRACT OF ENTRY

This document is obtained from the 'Registrar General's Office which is accompanied by:

AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP ACT 1948 or whichever consulate is applicable depending on what nationality your parents are as to which passport was required. In our case being Australians, we had to apply to the Australian Consulate here in Port Moresby.

This document is the one that the Australian authorities recognise as my children's actual 'Birth Certificate'.

As a parent I have kept numerous copies of these documents so that if my children ever needed the information, it was close at hand.

Goodluck to the reader on our site that wrote to us the other day saying how his certificates were stolen and that he needed to obtain fresh new documents urgently.

BTW, the address of the hospital in Lae is as follows:

ANGAU MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
P.O. BO 457
LAE. MOROBE PROVINCE
Papua New Guinea

Telephone: +675 472 1211

Consulate General's Office,
P.O. Box 2223
LAE. MOROBE PROVINCE

Telephone: +472 4324
Fax: +675 472 6430

If anyone else reading this, has by any chance gone through the process, please let us know how quick their service is and the time it took to receive documentation and the cost of doing so.

tks
pngbd

Scott Martin
19-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Good evening "Aussie":
I was also born in Lae (in 1958), but at the old ANGAU Hospital which used to be across the road from Lae Primary School, Coronation Drive. I believe this site later became the nurse's accomodation when the hospital shifted to Markham Road, at the cemetary end of the old airstrip.
I have travelled on an Australian passport since PNG's Independence when all boarding school students in Australia needed a passport to return home to PNG. For that initial application, and all subsequent renewals, I have always produced both my original "Territory of New Guinea Birth Certificate" and "Extract from Register of Births, Commonwealth of Australia Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948-1960", and have had no problems. This Extract is also my proof of Australian citizenship. These documents have also proved satisfactory when required to produce proof of identity here in Australia.
One small point, I recall a story doing the rounds many years ago that all Morobe birth records from, I think, the mid 1960's and earlier were destroyed in a fire, and no more copies could be obtained. I keep my originals, and certified copies, very safe indeed.

aussie
19-09-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi Scott,

Ask your Mum who was present at your birth. The chances are that it was the mother of one of our members on our board:

donfriel

His mother and father lived for many many years in Lae and would have been there when you were born I would say unless you picked a time when she was off duty...haha

Donny has posted lots of posts on our site but he is a freelance tour guide and travels from time to time all over Europe.

Maybe he will come back one day !

Scott Martin
19-09-2002, 08:56 PM
My Birth Certificate lists those present at my birth as Dr. A.J. Tonakie and Sister D. Carver. My two brothers, Craig and Mark, were also born in Lae (1960 and 1964) but I have no idea who attended their births. I do believe that a Dr Todd delivered my sister when she was born at the (then) new ANGAU Hospital in 1968. Dr Todd had a surgery on, I think, Seventh Street, a place where I had my first plaster cast, first stitches, first anything of a medical nature.

aussie
19-09-2002, 09:01 PM
Did your sister go to school in Lae ? Coz if she attended Bulae then she would have known both my son Shane and our daughter Cheree. Shane was born in 1968 & Cheree in 1969. They were born in Australia and arrived in Lae when they were 3 & 2 respectively. Both were Bulae Babies and went onto Lae International.

Scott Martin
19-09-2002, 09:45 PM
Baby sister Jacquelyn Martin (aka Jacky) only attended Bulae for part of her first year of school. Father was transferred to Moresby during 1973 or 1974 so Jacky finished that year at Ela Beach. When the family shifted from Konedobu to Boroko Drive Jacky then transferred to St Josephs. Went through to Grade 6 and then onto Moresby High until the family "went finish" in January 1983. Like me Jacky has never been back to PNG.

donfriel
21-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Yes , im back. Finished my season. Hearing aussie mention my mums name in regard to your birth scott was quite cool. Looking at the years, it was quite likely. My mother actually worked for Dr Todd for years and whilst she was obviously off the day you were born, she was definitely around. She will be chuffed. Hi aussie by the way..

Scott Martin
22-10-2002, 10:04 AM
Good morning donfriel,

I do not recall your mother however my parents certainly will. With three boys growing up in Lae my parents spent a lot of time in Dr Todd's surgery.

As for me, I went all the way through primary school with Dr Todd's number two son Chris. For a lot of that time my family lived in Eleventh Street (second house on the left) and I remember spending a hell of a lot of time at the Todd's house.

At the end of primary school Chris went to Churchie in Brisbane and I went to Marist Ashgrove, his family went south and my family eventually moved to Moresby. With all this happening we lost touch.

Have not seen Chris since the early 1970's.

If you have a look at the Lae Primary School thread you will see Chris Todd in the 1968 Grade 4 photo, third from the right in the bottom row.

Chris Byrne
22-03-2004, 02:55 AM
My Birth Certificate lists those present at my birth as Dr. A.J. Tonakie and Sister D. Carver. My two brothers, Craig and Mark, were also born in Lae (1960 and 1964) but I have no idea who attended their births. I do believe that a Dr Todd delivered my sister when she was born at the (then) new ANGAU Hospital in 1968. Dr Todd had a surgery on, I think, Seventh Street, a place where I had my first plaster cast, first stitches, first anything of a medical nature.

The doctor who delivered me was Dr Bruce, although I remember Dr Tonakie's name from my childhood. I was born in 1953, at the Malahang hospital ...

jbcorpuz
12-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi to all.. i am looking for help regarding birthcertificate.. i was born in Nonga Base Hospital in Rabaul.. but i grew up here in the philippines.. im already 22 yrs old but found out that we are not registered here in our country.. and couldnt get passport,. i lost my last copy of my certificate and having problem requesting for one .. but i have my copy of extract of entry , and i have read in your forum about it.. could this serve as my birthcertificate or it depends. I really really have to know the quickest way to have a passport T T coz i got lotz of offer abroad

gfry77
12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
hi! i was born in PNG too and I am now living in the Philippines for 30 years. My problem is SSS (Social Securit System) gives me a temporary number because they need my authenticated birth certificated from PNG. If anyone here can help me. :(

ashleyks
04-07-2007, 12:20 AM
i didnt have a birth certific**e. biological mother died of child birth l**er f**her passed away was raised by american. was applying for us citizenship and needed birth certific**e. travelled to png last year and managed to get one to prove who i was although it was d**ed "2006". all was done in POM

skipper
06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
We are often asked for information in relation to obtaining Birth Certifcates for children born in Papua New Guinea.

Today I have come across my own children's birth certificates who were born at Angau Memorial Hospital, Lae in the late '70's.

Unless it has changed, the following is what is required if you wish to obtain a copy of your birth details:

CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH ENTRY

This document can be obtained by writing to the Hospital where you were born, ie in my case 'Angau Memorial Hospital'.

However, whenever my children apply for a new passport the Australian authorities refuse to use this as a 'Birth Certificate', instead they insist on:

EXTRACT OF ENTRY

This document is obtained from the 'Registrar General's Office which is accompanied by:

AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP ACT 1948 or whichever consulate is applicable depending on what nationality your parents are as to which passport was required. In our case being Australians, we had to apply to the Australian Consulate here in Port Moresby.

This document is the one that the Australian authorities recognise as my children's actual 'Birth Certificate'.

As a parent I have kept numerous copies of these documents so that if my children ever needed the information, it was close at hand.

Goodluck to the reader on our site that wrote to us the other day saying how his certificates were stolen and that he needed to obtain fresh new documents urgently.

BTW, the address of the hospital in Lae is as follows:

ANGAU MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
P.O. BO 457
LAE. MOROBE PROVINCE
Papua New Guinea

Telephone: +675 472 1211

Consulate General's Office,
P.O. Box 2223
LAE. MOROBE PROVINCE

Telephone: +472 4324
Fax: +675 472 6430

If anyone else reading this, has by any chance gone through the process, please let us know how quick their service is and the time it took to receive documentation and the cost of doing so.

tks
pngbd Yes I have it takes forever at least 1 year and cost is PNGK12-50 and I am still waiting.
Skipper

Untermenschen
06-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Greetings All

I was born in Port Moresby in 1955 [to dinkum fish-belly-white aussie parents] & have never had an 'original' copy of my birth cert.[which is now a pre-req. for getting an Australian Citizenship Cert. - which is in turn, now a pre-req. for getting an Australian Passport].

I sense an interminable Kafkaesque Nightmare looming.

Does anyone know how to fast-track the process of getting an original Papua birth cert.?

Cheerz, Peter Ward.

aussie
06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone, have attached a birth registration form. Suggest if you do not want to fly to PNG to obtain yourself which takes about 2 days, that you request the services of:

Manpower Management Services Ltd
Level 3, ADF Haus, Port Moresby NCD
P.O. Box 1739, Port Moresby, NCD
Tel: 321 5491
Direct: 321 5492
Fax: 321 5493
Email: manpower@daltron.com.pg (manpower@daltron.com.pg)

Attention: Ivy Roy

Untermenschen
12-12-2008, 09:02 PM
My apologies for the belated reply Gail - forum appears to have been down a while - but thanks for the info.

I was actually hoping that there would be some kind of musty 'Papua' archive in an obscure Canberra basement somewhere within the bowels of bureacracy, from which I could retrieve the relevant document - apparently there isn't.

Given that Papua was an Australian external territory I'm not sure that the current PNG Gov't. would retain the relevant records.

I can see that this process is going to take many weeks - if not months - so don't plan to be travelling any further overseas than Tassie for a while yet.

Cheers, PeterW.

crazyas1
10-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi there people, just a response to the ManPower Management Services....
Does it take long to actually obtain your Birth Certificate, as i'm also based in Australia...
Has anyone been down this path.. i've also seen other sites for a New Guinea Birth Certificate asking for a sum in Kina but nothing about postage back to applicant.. Can someone please help.
Thanks

gfry77
11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
bumping this thread. I hope someone can help us here.

crazyas1
15-07-2009, 11:30 PM
bumping? stay clear of this site ?

Richard Annan
21-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi there,
I just want to know if my birth certificate, which reads EXTRACT OF ENTRY, issued from the Registrar's office but without my parents' names is still authentic. I was born in Lae at Angau Memorial Hospital in the late 80s and lived in Lae until last year.

I am enquiring this because most countries have both parents' names on the child's birth certificate.
I will appreciate it if this is cleared for me.
Rich.

aussie
21-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Richard, I gave birth to two children born also in Lae and although I do not have copies here in PNG currently with me, from memory I obtained a 'Full Birth Certificate' and an extract.

The 'Full Birth Certificate' I think you will need to apply for say a passport but the extract is ok to prove your age.

I would just try it and see for yourself. If it is refused then you will have to apply for a full birth certificate.

If you need to apply for a full birth certificate I suggest you contact the following company:

manpower@daltron.com.pg

Its not that expensive but it may take a few weeks.

aussie
21-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Basically anyone can state any kind of details and pretty much get a birth certificate here in PNG because the majority of people born in this country were never registered.

For example I have had to organise approximately 15 of my Kokoda Trekking boys passports to travel to Australia. The first rank off the ladder is to obtain a birth certificate.

So the first stop is at the office opposite the Telikom building at Waigani. The boys complete the attachment on this thread, then submit it to the office and pay from memory K25.00. They collect the documentation and money and state come back in two-three working days when it will be ready.

Each time it has been ready for collection, no questions asked, sometimes the boys just write 1st January as they would not have a clue when they were born. It always works and is processed according to what they write on the form supplied.

Di Wellington
08-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Thank you so much for this info - and especially the form! - for birth certificates. I'm helping a friend to get a copy of her birth certificate and she was born in Moresby. Regards Di

Hi everyone, have attached a birth registration form. Suggest if you do not want to fly to PNG to obtain yourself which takes about 2 days, that you request the services of:

Manpower Management Services Ltd
Level 3, ADF Haus, Port Moresby NCD
P.O. Box 1739, Port Moresby, NCD
Tel: 321 5491
Direct: 321 5492
Fax: 321 5493
Email: manpower@daltron.com.pg (manpower@daltron.com.pg)

Attention: Ivy Roy

Pistolday
15-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to help my sister obtain a certified copy of her birth certificate. It's needed to apply for a temporary Australian Visa.

What is she supposed to do with the Birth certificate application form once it's been filled in? Where should it be sent to? Via e-mail? Post? How is payment arranged?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

PD

Loreta
07-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Hi

my grandfather was born in Papua and i really need your guys help where i can get his birth certificate please because he doesnt have any birth certificate because there are no records those days. His parents were a missionary to papua new guinea and four of his siblings including him were born there. please i need where i should get those infomation from please.

Thank you