PDA

View Full Version : Internet Service Providers in PNG

muppie
27-04-2001, 11:23 PM
There are only five ISPs in PNG:

Daltron (http://www.daltron.com.pg)
Datec (http://www.datec.net.pg)
Global Technology (http://www.global.net.pg)
Online South Pacific (http://www.online.net.pg)

Please note: these are purely my personal opinion, and might not be true.

Of those five, I know for sure that Online South Pacific if pretty pricey compared to the rest...and I really don't know why... Some people have good and bad experience with any of those..

If you live in Port Moresby you will get good connection but if you live somewhere else that usually means the connection is "physically" long distance because the servers are located in Port Moresby.

Note that some ISPs have now established local dial-in presence in Lae, Goroka and other places. This helps with the quality of phone and connection for the people living there.

Regardless of which ISP and where their server is located, the phone charge to the ISP in PNG is treated as a long distance call and is charged at K3.6/hour during peak hour and K2.4/hour off peak. This is specially arranged by having all the ISP dialin numbers starting with 188 so they are treated as a special area code.

Peak Hour is 7:30 am - 5:30 pm Monday - Saturday

All the ISPs are connected through a government controlled gateway called Tiare and then it connects to Australia.

I hope this short explanation and review is useful to anyone out there, and please feel free to post your own opinion, experience etc.

Moxsy
17-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Hey I reckon Global Internet Rocks.
They charge K2.20/h during peak hours and K1.00/h during off.
They also have different user plans for different users to suite the pocket.

Now thats what I call service.

muppie
12-01-2003, 10:02 PM
I wish there's a service like iinet.net.au in png. They charge a flat rate fee of $60/month for ADSL. No call charges, 24 hours on. download speed is 256kbps, and upload at 64kbps.

People can download 2GB during the day, and 2GB from midnight to 7am - in the past 30 days period. If you go over, they do NOT charge more. They just slow you down to 72kbps - still MUCH faster than any dialup.

Furthermore, all transfers to/from their FTP / newsgroup / website / gameserver are free. Their FTP is filled with very useful stuff, kept up to date all the time. Several linux distributions, MS Patches, Freebsd files etc.

Now this is what I call dream ISP!

Teltra bigpond cable in oz is fast (can download at 300-500 kbps) but the download limit is a bit low and no free transfers to/from their own network which sucks because it does not cost them anything.

Now there's something for the ISP in PNG to follow

[w a n t o k]
13-01-2003, 02:29 AM
Good Luck with that. But I hope to see it happen soon.

keith parascos
13-01-2003, 11:05 AM
It'd be great if you made this a priority project for 2003 Muppie

Cruzin
07-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Xtra.co.nz only charges $27.95/month flat rate plan.
This is for normal 56kbps modems.
Calls to server are free and you can go on all day and all night and you won't be charged excess...

PNG should look at that...

Do any of the ISP's in PNG do flat rate plans?

muppie
07-03-2003, 12:52 AM
no flat rate........ being an isp in png is lucrative!

Hellish
04-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Iprimus dialup 56K is working wonders for me at the mo ... $78 for a quater yearly block with unlimited download.
It's a callback service, so only cost a local phonecall (15c) ... heehee :D

momasegeek
11-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Airnet cranks $66 quaterly, unlimited dl and hours, I was online for 5 days with no d/c it was intense. Local call.

Whats the thing with callback? do you ring somewhere and then the server calls your computer back or something?

muppie
26-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Callback: Hi we're not home, leave your message and we'll call you back if we think you're important :D

sbort
29-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Muppie - very informative - for me that is.....thanks

blade_runner
30-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Airnet cranks $66 quaterly, unlimited dl and hours, I was online for 5 days with no d/c it was intense. Local call.

Whats the thing with callback? do you ring somewhere and then the server calls your computer back or something?

Hey momasegeek, I haven't seen you around for ages .....YOu still studying are you ????